Customer Service - Boat Related

Ok, so on the recommendation of a few on couple threads on Crew.org, I got some Acrylic windows cut by the business recommended. I left specific instructions, including requesting "medium tint" - I typed it on a note. The business confirmed they understood my note. All good so far.

So, the windows are cut, and I see that they were done in "Dark Tint".

I inquired as to why I didn't get the tint I asked for, and was told you can only have Light or Dark tint.

Would it have not been reasonable for the outfit to phone me and advise that my instructions ask for medium tint, but they only have light and dark?

Anyway, they offered to redo them in light tint with no extra charge - and rightly so (dark tint is just too dark and I didn't ask for dark tint), and I was told they have to get that light tint sheet of acrylic in, and they'd be ready today.

So, 3:30 today , and no contact.  So I sent a text off asking how its going with my windows?  I got a short terse text response back "Not going to happen today. Monday".

So, I sent a reply, "Ok, but you did tell me today".

I get text back to that saying: "things change quick in my industry and nothing was guaranteed, they will be done next week".

Now, I personally don't really mind about waiting a few more days. But - it is the response that gets up my goat.  When are business in NZ, especially those having to do anything with the Marine industry, whom in my experience have some of the worst customer service (KM and his mob excepted!) going to realise that you just cannot treat customers this way...?

Their first mistake is not advising me they don't have the tint I want, and just deciding for themselves to do it in dark.

Their offer to redo them at no charge (if they tried to charge me I would have blown my stack) was good, but is to be expected.

But, telling me they're gonna be ready, then it having to be me - the customer - having to contact them to ask how the windows I had been advised would be ready, are going - it's bullsh#t. And then the terse text responses.

In the end I texted him and advised a more courteous response rather than "not going to happen today" would have been more appropriate.

No response to that.

Now, I am only a couple hundred dollar customer, so he probably thinks - "ah f**k him" - but word gets round, people talk, and you are probably judged as a business on how you treat your lowest profit customers compared to your biggest.  i.e it shouldn't matter one iota how much money you as a customer are providing - general courtesy and conduct should be the same to all customers.

Rant over.

Sadly I can related very well to what Zozza is saying.

I wouldn't, we have our moments as well. I am trying to minimise them but they do still lurk in dark corners waiting for their chance to jump out.

I think a key thing with Zozzas example and one I keep trying to bash in my mob is 'communicate'. I find if you do that it does minimise the niggles and bitching. If we don't then we do deserve the odd serve I get.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Sadly I can related very well to what Zozza is saying.

I wouldn't, we have our moments as well. I am trying to minimise them but they do still lurk in dark corners waiting for their chance to jump out.

I think a key thing with Zozzas example and one I keep trying to bash in my mob is 'communicate'. I find if you do that it does minimise the niggles and bitching. If we don't then we do deserve the odd serve I get.

Yeah I guess if a client asked for 7mm chain, but you only had 6 or 8mm and just decided without asking them to give them 8mm, then  yeah, the customer would be pissed. But, I doubt you be sending them short terse texts  such as " that 7mm chain I promised for today, not gonna happen. Monday" with no, "sorry something came up blah blah blah, sorry about that".

You did a good turn for me in regards that bit of gear that brings chain up and down, and It will not be forgotten. That's what I call customer service. As it happens, looks like the improved thickness of my wallet may allow me to be back to see you for that gear - but maybe the RC8-6, even if it is a few hundy more  :thumbup:

Totally agreed with Km

Most people can handle a slip up once but when the communication stops it all turns to sh*t.... It's the same in all businesess.

Lots of people just need to learn to "own it" and be honest and straight with respect

I'm having issues with a certain rigger. Was told standing rigging would be about $600. Got bill for $1300. Rung and complained to which he said he would look into it and get back to me.

Couple weeks later get same invoice with overdue stamp.

Rung left message for him to call me. No contact. Rung again couple weeks later and had same conversation. Waited for him to call me back to explain the cost blowout.

Couple weeks later same invoice with another overdue stamp.

Since then I have found out many have had the same experience. The guy is a crook as far as I am concerned and will take my next boat to Auckland to be done

I hope you have not paid him anything?  That is just nuts. Double the quote with no explanation? WTF.  

I am pissed about the "attitude" I got,  

But, I'd be blowing like Mt Krakatoa if I was in your position with this rigger.

Yea I am pissed. I would like to legally dispute it but struggling to find the time and energy to deal with it.

I don't want it going to a collection agency though.

Was thinking of offering him $800 as full and final payment and see if he takes it.

I don't like having bills hanging over my head but I also don't like extortion!

As long as you inform him that you dispute the payment demand: it cannot be acted upon by a debt collector.. So you must make sure that you have some record of informing him/them of that. Email or registered letter as examples are sufficient.

In similar situations, I have sent a cheque and written on the back that this is accepted as full and final payment for invoice #xxxx figuring that if they bank it then they have accepted the condition. Never had a problem with it so far. Worth a shot?

• Upvote 1

Thank you. That is exactly what I will do then along with an offer to settle it for $800. He doesn't seem to have email so it will have to be by registered letter I guess.

I would take a pic of both sides of the cheque, and I would also courier it with tracking and with "signature required" on receipt.

That way you have a complete end to end trail of proof. 

Happily, it sometimes works the other way, too.

When my No.2 son was learning to windsurf he had many a slip and ended up falling through his sail, so each Monday morning before school he'd be down at Tony Thornburrow's (Tauranga sailmaker) for repairs.

Lots of times it was a freebie.

Tony's quote a few years back for a new headdsail for the Cab 39 was $3000. When I went to pick it up he said that since we were going off cruising he'd upped the sailcloth spec. I'm thinking OK, $3200. The he said that sometimes in sailmaking jobs just go really well and quicker than expected, as was the case with my sail so the bill was $2800.

He retired recently and will be sorely missed.

What sort of business has no email ??? 

A business run by an 80 year old i'd say.

To be fair he probably doesn't remember the initial quote as he usually doesn't do them. You would be much better off going down and talking to him, the guy is old school. Surprised you managed to get him on the phone.

Most likely there were a few things noticed on the re-rig that needed attending to.

• Upvote 2

A business run by an 80 year old i'd say.

Hey, steady on! He shouldn't be more than 72. We were neighbours and both started Primer One at Holy Cross Convent school in The Atatu on the same day.

I found him great to deal with given I gave him less than 24 hours notice that my boat was arriving in Tauranga and needed the mast stepped and rig checked. He was there at sparrow fart, replaced a stay and stepped the rig. Gave me a very reasonable bill and I paid him on the spot.

Hey, steady on! He shouldn't be more than 72. We were neighbours and both started Primer One at Holy Cross Convent school in The Atatu on the same day.

Thought he was a bit older than that, I known him since I was about 5 years old.

And just for the record this was not intended as a "name and shame" even though some of you obviously know who I am talking about as it is not fair he can not respond through this forum.

This however was my experience which I found frustrating.

Some obviously have had good experiences or he would have gone out of business by now surely.

As soon as you mentioned the occupation and the town you pretty much outed the guy. All I can say is good luck with Auckland prices you may be in for a shock.

I have no idea who Sabre is talking about. No names have been mentioned, but if some people have figured out who it is, and he did give an estimate, and then charges over double, and can't be got hold of without getting a sniffer dog posse together, then man, that's just too bad for him.

Here's a novel thought for businessmen and tradesmen...and how they treat their customers.....treat everyone the same, don't treat some good, some bad, some indifferent depending on how your indigestion is, or how bitchy your mrs has been lately - and you won't get pissed off punters.

Someone said he was "old school".

You want to talk about old school? In old school, a man's word was his bond. Maybe Sabtre's rigger, and my window cutter guy need a bit of a bloody good dose of old school values.

The problem here is that we only get to hear one side of the story.

Here is a novel idea instead of whingeing on an internet forum. Ring the guy up or go and talk to him. A lot more productive.

This forum, any forum, in fact any medium, whether it be internet, TV, radio, whatever,,, largely gives "one side of the story".Whether you choose to believe that "story" is up to you.  

I've stated my "story".

Sabre has stated his.

You can, as can any punter, decide what you want to believe, and make your own judgements.

Last time I looked I lived in New Zealand, not North Korea.

• Upvote 1