Wood sports trailer yacht

I'm getting the hunger to upgrade, on the menu is a wood R780. I'm not sure about a wood boat though, Are they to be avoided as general opinion about wood boats seems to suggest?

People say "high maintenance" what does that mean exactly?

What checks should be done in trying to determine any possible rot?

Is it best to just stick to popular opinion and stick with glass?

There are some very good wooden boats about.

And some shitty glass boats.

With any boat thats not brand new, it pays to look at the specific boat rather than apply generalities.

Rot in a wooden boat gives a dull noise when tapped with a hammer or the handle of a large screw driver. A surveyor would just patiently tap around the whole boat listening for a different or dull sound.

The other thing to bear in mind, wood is perfectly easy to fix if you find a problem. Obviously depending if you are that way inclined (DIY that is), the price of the boat and its value to you.

It also makes a difference if the wood has been fibreglassed over.

If so then theoretically the fiberglass keeps the water away from the wood and you shouldn't have rot. Of course in an old boat there's always the chance someone's done a bad job of attaching a fitting and let water in.

there are two very good R780's on the market right now.

cool change - is a wooden boat and very quick, has a twin spreader rig which has been grand fathered into the class. she was called interstellar overdrive.

Night nurse -is a hopwood glass boat. When i say glass she is actually balsa core with glass each side. Hopwood built the production boats really well. I own one. Nightnurse had a big birthday a few years ago. 

Either would be a great boat.

Most of these older Ross 780's are such great boats to sail that they're having loads spent on refurbishing them. Pm me if you want any information about ross 780's