• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zeus faber

Zeus faber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

Hi all, Having moved aboard late summer and seen out the winter it's become apparent that it rains on the inside of our boat!! .I kind of knew to expect this with buying a ferro. We keep dehumidifiers running and are regularly demoulding but now were looking for a more permanent solution . Our aft cabins have no ventilation apart from one small breather hole in the master, so that's probably first on the agenda. We're also thinking of installing a diesel heater for next winter and ducting through the cabins (up till now we've just been using electric heaters plugged in). Is this likely to fix the problem or are we doomed to a life of mould and mildew? Wondering if any of you have dealt with the same? Thanks

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

A vented heater will make a huge difference. Run it round the clock. After that insulation is your friend.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#3 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Or do what we plan next year and sail north till the butter melts.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#4 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Actually it is not a common issue with Ferro. Unless the inside is totally shut up, which it must be. Water has to get inside to be there to accumulate on the surfaces. Have you leaks from rain, that runs down into the Bilge and then is evaporating and condensing on the cold walls/Ceilings? Bare cement surfaces do not usually create moisture. Painted surfaces will. If you have no ventilation at all, the Mold will grow on the ceiling.
A simple vent for and aft, that allows air in and through the boat and then a vent out, makes an enormous difference. If you are on a swing mooring, that is even better, because the Bow always points into the breeze all the time. I get no moisture/mold inside my boat at all. The previous owner did, because he used to shut all the vents.

#5 Zeus faber

Zeus faber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the replies.. Yes she is pretty sealed up and we do have some leak issues that we are currently working on, so two culprits right there. Funny, I guess it's just a misconception people have about cement and moisture. The good news is it sounds like we can fix it! Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users