#31 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted Today, 03:16 AM

There's no reason a foiling mono has to look anything like the IMOCA really.

there are numerous designs out there foiling now, Moths, R class, Laser, RS600ff

Oh, and these

So there must be some amazing speed potential in a giant version.

That thing look pretty darn cool, and it's foiling in basically no wind. Well it's on lake Zürich, and there is never any wind here anyway. That's actually a pretty windy day for here...

I wonder how my new boat will go if I knock the keel off and add a set of these foils and a wing... :think:

Here's a newer video...

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#32 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted Today, 05:44 AM

That thing look pretty darn cool, and it's foiling in basically no wind. Well it's on lake Zürich, and there is never any wind here anyway. That's actually a pretty windy day for here...

I wonder how my new boat will go if I knock the keel off and add a set of these foils and a wing... :think:

Here's a newer video...

Pretty cool, but essentially with the outboard foils (or looks like it), these are a monomaran aren't they?  Aren't they same as a cat foiler once airborne?

I like your post a few above, hopefully the rules will allow enough latitude for innovation.  I have my suspicions though that the rules could be quite tame.  Dalton has already ruled out cyclors for instance, suggests to me a more traditional but foil assisted boat.

Partly I'm quite happy for the AC to go a bit more traditional, don't like all these mainstream sailors getting into multihulls. I liked the days when you sail past the most expensive and fastest mono harbour racer in Auckland in your crappy plywood Paper Tiger, aged 14.

#33 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

People forget speed is relative, 48.6 kts vs 47.9kts or 7.3kts vs 8kts.....so what? Its about the grandeur, the spectacle, the crew work and skill involved in designing, building and sailing.

The logical next step for a cat is all electric/hydraulic controls, software driven with a single helmsman and tactician onboard. Next step after that no one onboard and controlled via a screen in the clubroom, next step after that just forget the boats and do it virtually in a video game.

#34 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted Today, 08:01 AM

People forget speed is relative, 48.6 kts vs 47.9kts or 7.3kts vs 8kts.....so what? Its about the grandeur, the spectacle, the crew work and skill involved in designing, building and sailing.

The logical next step for a cat is all electric/hydraulic controls, software driven with a single helmsman and tactician onboard. Next step after that no one onboard and controlled via a screen in the clubroom, next step after that just forget the boats and do it virtually in a video game.

If they go for J boats I'd agree with that, however not sure a 60 ft mono (if that's the call) will have much spectacle without speed.

#35 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted Today, 09:03 AM

The americas cup is about building the fastest boat within an agreed rule, or if no rule agreed, the fastest boat (90' waterline).

The crew, the grandeur, the match racing actually means squat. It makes it more interestijg for sure, but its never what the cup is 'about'.

#36 Sundreamer

Sundreamer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted Today, 09:32 AM

A lot of Kiwis in here
https://www.facebook...42163925896145/

Choosing a boat based on resale value is a bit like picking a girlfriend based on how desirable other guys might find her after you break up. 

#37 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted Today, 10:36 AM

I guess what the cup is about changes with perspective. For a cat aficionado then having cats in the cup is a real thrill given the long history of monos. As mentioned as far as speed goes cats have virtually no competition, thats a given but if ultimate speed is concerned then why not two sailrocket type craft having a straight line drag down the Tamaki Straight? On the sailing front I dont care much for "beach cats zipping around a swimming pool" and the speed translating into embarrassing thrashings if a mistake is made but I'll support whatever they come up with whether it be cats/monos/foilers/scows/canoes etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users