Kaipara Tragedy & Pilot Boat with the Body Part

Topical things that aren't in the news.

So what actually happened with that charter fishing boat that rolled on the Kaipara bar? I assume it's long enough past to be able to discuss what actually happened, maybe even have some actual official findings?

And the Ports of Auckland Pilot Boat that had the guys leg stuck in the jet intake. That hit the news for a day or two and then went spooky quiet.

Given some strong public opposition to port expansions, I assume POAL got some kind of injunction to keep that out of the media.

Not good PR having port operations kill a member of the public.

If charges are pending or laid it would be straight forward to get a blanket suppression order. Does anyone know what is actually going on?

I've been wondering the same and add in the Pali whatsits name that took out Nick and Steve on the way to the Islands, that reports a long time coming as well.

Yes, the cruising yacht that had its boom break free north of NZ, I was wondering if enough time had passed to ask about that one.

There are these sentinel events that get media coverage for a period of time, but we never get any details as to what happened. Often it is not appropriate to ask or speculate at the time, but the facts or lessons learnt don't actually come out at a later, more appropriate time.

So for the Kaipara tragedy, at the time, basically everyone was just blaming the skipper. There was an indication from other skippers via the media that he had 'form' for crossing the bar when others wouldn't, but a certain poster around here indicated there were other factors at play that had a direct contribution to the incident.

Was it a known engine reliability problem?

Was the boat out of survey?

Was the boat in survey but had known issues that should have put it out of survey?

What are you talking about Scottie?

Buildings don't fail. Any reporting of building failures could indicate ineffective government oversight and undermine confidence of voters. You can't report any building failures. Everything is fine, nothing to see here...

So what was the change made?

No point in waiting for the report KM, you know as well as I do it isn't going to answer any questions, or indeed say anything at all.

Agree on the comments from other skippers. By virtue of there being a major tragedy the boundaries were obviously pushed too far. I think enough time has passed now to look past the fact of the tragedy to start wanting to understand what actually happened and any underlying issues, other than just a big wave.

I think most posters around here are intelligent enough to filter speculation from fact (excluding of course the election thread).

So what happened with the Ports Pilot boat?

Was there a Police investigation?

Are police responsible for investigating that, or is in MNZ?

Did anyone determine where the incident happened, i.e. close to the beach / North Head, or out where a boat could reasonably expect to not hit a swimmer?

It went very quiet very quickly, indicating some sort of suppression order or injunction on reporting how the guy died or what happened other than that there was a fatality of a swimmer.

Back away from the tinfoil.

I would be thinking the silence would be more due to people not wanting to make uneducated guesses and comments out of respect for all involved while people find out what exactly happened.

You don't think they know what happened yet?

Insert Tui ad here.

I think you've missed my point. I'm wanting to know what is happening, I.e. Is an investigation underway, and if so who is running the investigation.

To the best of my knowledge nothing has been announced in that regard. Last we heard the Pilot boat was on the hard and being photographed by police.

So is it a police investigation, or a Martime NZ investigation? There is a big difference between the two.

I'm thinking of the amount of coverage we get if someone crosses a bar without a life jacket, or when Gypsie was sunk in that collision, and comparing it to when we have an actual fatality from a third party collision. With its MNZ nailing some guy in a tinnie for a bylaw breach, we hear about it, but MNZ "nailing" POAL - doesn't happen.