Sorry that man never adds balance.

#13 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

Yes I saw the Watson facts And believe he did not do it , but the possible evidence was not looked into enough , instead a young fellow pissed up with a little yacht having fun Supposedly did away with two teens , took them out to sea dumped them motored back to the anchored and slepted , all in a few hours or the morning ,

#14 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone know the amount of time that Police say Watson took to travel from Furneaux to Tory, out into the strait and then back to the bay in which he was found painting his Boat?

#15 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

I don't recall the number any more wheels, but I remember thinking the voyage wasn't possible in the time available, for that vessel.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#16 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Yes I was of the same opinion and I was making a comment to someone on FB about this. I laid out the trip and put into the equation tides being one way or the other and it just is not possible. If the tide was going with him from Furneaux, it would be against him at Tory and the tide os so strong through Tory (as you know IT) that his little boat would not make way against it. Once out the entrance to Tory and into the Strait, there is no possible way back in. Even my Boat cannot make way against the tide through that Gap.
If he had the tide the right way down Tory, he would have had it against him from Furneaux. He would have had a good speed out Tory channel, bit even with a tide with you, it is two hrs for a we boat that size, and then he would not have made it back in the entrance against the tide.
Or, he is a better navigator than I am and had a hell of a lot of luck in catching the right currents all at the right times in the right places.

#17 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

And he was very pissed , drowsy , just committed a hell crime , all this in a few hours of the early morning , really , not possible ,,

#18 w44vi

w44vi

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

Cut and paste from http://www.nzherald....jectid=10637699

Davison told the jury in the 1999 trial that Watson was the killer and was seen on his yacht Blade in Cook Strait between 4.30pm and 4.45pm on the day Hope and Smart went missing.

The court heard he was next seen 18km to the west, at Erie Bay, between 5pm and 6pm

Blade is not quick. The speed achieved by police in their own testing was just over 9km/h (5 knots). With the push of the tide, it takes half an hour to cover the 3km to our starting point for the run to Erie Bay.

The Herald on Sunday has found the reality quite different. We took Blade on the same trip, recreating a voyage taken by author and campaigner Keith Hunter seven years ago. We rode the same tide in the same boat from the nearest position Watson was alleged to have travelled from. It took two hours and 35 minutes. Hunter's trip started farther out and took a comparable length of time. 

The trip is impossible to achieve in the time stated by the prosecution if calculated mathematically using data from the prosecution's own files. The trip is also impossible using a scientific calculation that determines the maximum possible speed that yachts can travel at.

#19 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for that.
Does anyone have the ability to find Tide tables for that Jan1 1998 for Queen Charlotte?

Wait, I just read the article further and it answers that for me.

#20 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:34 AM

Just about halfway through Wishart's book on this Wheels. He is pretty damning of Watson's character and also Guy Wallace who also seems to be a sleazy bugger according to Wishart. I also don't think he did it, but the book shows a nastier side to him...

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users