#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

I have a fridge compressor dangling off the side of my engine and I don't like it. Put this together with the fact that we only ever use the freezer box as a chiller and even then not so much because the box seems to keep things quite cool all by itself whether I turn on the compressor or not...
So I would like to ditch the compressor and install a eutectic plate in my freezer for occasional use. There used to be one a few years back, a Tropicool I think, but now unavailable and from memory they were pretty power hungry.
Seeking advise here about where to find something similar and whether they're any good or not.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

Do you want to run in it as a fridge or freezer? Big difference in power consumption and hence battery bank size and charging system.
If you are just going for fridge, simplest option is an evaporator plate and compressor kit from www.fridgetech.co.nz .Keep way from their salt water cooled units.
Next up in price and complexity are the eutectic type units, such as the Ozefridge that IT represents.
Finally Fridgetech have a large 12V compressor that they say can be a straight change out for an engine drive compressor. I think they have only installed a couple of these so not a lot of history.
If you just want a fridge, go for the simple evaporator plate and air cooled compressor. I have 2 of these in small fridges and they are great

#3 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Just wanted to run it occasionally as a fridge and even then not looking to lower the temperature much. The box is small which is why I had one of the old tropicool units in mind. Just install it in the wall of the chiller box and connect it up to the switchboard and you're good to go.
And underlying this is the main requirement - cheap!
Young at heart.

#4 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Chris, they are called a Thermoelectric cooler, Solid state refrigerator or the technical name is a Peltier heatpump.
They are indeed power hungry. About 6-7 A continuous for a device capable of cooling a large chilly bin. They used to be common as, but having aquick google, I could not find any Nz company selling them. It was a quick look though. Dirt cheap on the overseas sites like Allibaba.

#5 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Wheels. I didn't run my freezer at all over the winter and I think I lost all the refrigerant because the seals dried out.
I don't want to re gas it.
It seems to me that engine designers build their engines to sit nicely on its four legs. Then yachties come along and hang a humungous belt driven compressor on one side and probably throw the whole engine installation out of balance. When I replaced the engine mounts recently I did notice that the mounts on the compressor side were a lot worse than the ones on the other side. Probably this compressor business is not an issue on big engines but mine is a little three cylinder Perkins. That's why I'm looking for an alternative, preferably a cheap one.
Young at heart.

#6 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

what about a second hand 12v compressor type fridge , danfoss or vitrifrigo? use complete or as parts to cool your box.  They are very efficient and use little power.

I had a tropicool and it was not worth using, better to just use ice in your existing box.

#7 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

Or look for a second hand Dehumidifier that uses a compressor fridge unit. I did this. I have a Bar fridge (one of those Mitre 10 things) that had one of those Peltier units and that had failed. Every now and then a dehumidifier comes in for recycling and so I pulled the one apart and inserted the cold part inside the fridge and the Hot part on the outside. Then a small fan to cool the hot part and a thermostat and bingo, I have a compressor bar fridge. The dehumidifiers can often be bought cheap. Worth looking on Trademe. They are easy to pull apart and the Hot and cold radiator parts are separate and easy to pull apart and as long as you are really careful with the copper tubing, you can bend them around into a different orientation fairly easily. Some models are easier  than others to work with. Even though we get ones that are not working, the fridge units are always fine. It is usually some little switch or fan that is faulty.

Oh and those engine driven compressor units can be expensive to fix. It is never as simple as just regassing.

#8 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

waeco cfx 40,running on cool continuos does not use a lot of power,providing you put pre cooled products in. I have one very rarely put it on freeze,run on 3c ,never had a battery issue,they cycle on and off.Other brands seem to run continous for little cooling effort,stay away from waeco tropicool,

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#9 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

Thank you people.
Some good info above for me to look into.
Young at heart.

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

What Harry said re the weaco compressor versions.

I have seen the odd one of those a bit fecked up but still running. Maybe you could score one that has a buggered body but good running gear and strip it.

Just in case anyone got lost there I am talking fridges not a hooker well past her use by date  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users