Purchase Anti-foul online from overseas - will it be allowed in by customs?

Is that the SR MB? Because there is a Trinidad and Trinidad SR.

Epiglass/International had one that also used irgarol and had the irgarol removed and the result was that it no longer performed as it used to.

There has been a number of Chemicals that have now been banned or about to be banned for use in NZ.

3(2H)-Isothiazolone,

4,5-dichloro-2-octyl- (DCOIT)

Chlorothalonil

Copper (I) oxide

Copper pyrithione

Copper thiocyanate

Dichlofluanid

Diuron

Irgarol 1051

Mancozeb

Octhilinone

Thiram

Tolyfluanid

Zinc pyrithione

Zineb

Ziram

If you go to this link location, and then to pages 38 to 44, that gives you a lost of AF's that are allowed and those that have 4yrs approval, which I think expires this year, 10yr approval and Banned.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjS55a5y8vWAhVKopQKHeYGC7EQFggrMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epa.govt.nz%2Fsearch-databases%2FHSNO%2520Application%2520Register%2520Documents%2FAPP201051_APP201051_Decision_Final.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0Z0eqBkVscLxjml3wFGLOa

Completely surprised to see coper oxide on that list... given it's a simple salt and not an organometalic. Might as well ban copper metal...

Why don't we just develop a robot that wanders around under your hull like a giant limpet and continuously scrubs your bottom?

There was a hull cleaning robot at the Auckland boat show. I didn't actually bother looking at it properly. It looked:

A) Expensive, and

B ) Not suited to a yacht hull, especially getting from the turn of the bilge down onto the keel.

Looked OK for launch hulls with large flat or gently rounded areas.

I'm sure if someone googled they would find it.

There was a hull cleaning robot at the Auckland boat show. I didn't actually bother looking at it properly. It looked:

A) Expensive, and

B ) Not suited to a yacht hull, especially getting from the turn of the bilge down onto the keel.

Looked OK for launch hulls with large flat or gently rounded areas.

I'm sure if someone googled they would find it.

This is the robot cleaner that was at the boat show. 

https://www.keelcrab.com/en/keelcrab-sail-one/

I swear 1/2 the ultrasonic hull cleaning systems came about because one guy in the company saw an ultrasonic cleaning bath in a lab somewhere

Close. The technique is used to keep special cooling pools in large industry clean of algae. But the difference is that we are talking super powerful devices in a confined space. From what I understand, they work by stopping the plant cell from being able to attach to anything. It does not kill it as such. That requires unbelievable power.

In fact, I was involved in coming up with ways of breaking cell structures down in Mussels here in Blenheim. One of the ways I suggested was to try Ultrasound. The Frequency was at 20Khz. Supposedly on the upper edge of hearing, but I could hear it just fine. Not because I have great hearing, but because of the intensity of the sound. 20Kw of transducer was used and then that Ultrasound was intensified mechanically and focused to a point in which the Slurry was passed through. The sound would cause the Cells to cavitate and literally tear themselves apart.

The Units they have for the marine environment have no show of providing that kind of energy.

The old man had a thought 30yrs ago to build an up side down car wash The idea was you drive your yacht/launch through it and it mould to hull shape,he spent a lot of hours drawing it .

You mean something like this?

http://driveinboatwash.com/en/products/bigwash/

KM and I looked into a system about 7 years ago. Not like above. It was slightly more manual. The Brush part sucked to the Hull, but an operator had to move it up and down and along. The growth removed was filtered to a point, but dirty water would still be flushed back into the water and the problem was that the Enviro "Mental" people said that was not allowed.

So I can't see a Brush system like in the link above being allowed either.

Completely surprised to see coper oxide on that list... given it's a simple salt and not an organometalic

It can become copper oxychloride in saline conditions.   There are few very different oxides of copper.  I wonder if they are all included?

You mean something like this?

http://driveinboatwash.com/en/products/bigwash/

KM and I looked into a system about 7 years ago. Not like above. It was slightly more manual. The Brush part sucked to the Hull, but an operator had to move it up and down and along. The growth removed was filtered to a point, but dirty water would still be flushed back into the water and the problem was that the Enviro "Mental" people said that was not allowed.

So I can't see a Brush system like in the link above being allowed either.

similar,except he had a filter system,

DrWatson, on 12 Oct 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:snapback.png

Completely surprised to see coper oxide on that list... given it's a simple salt and not an organometalic

It can become copper oxychloride in saline conditions.   There are few very different oxides of copper.  I wonder if they are all included?

It does. When an AF'd Hull is lifted from the water, you may have seen a light trace of emerald green powdery stuff around the waterline areas. It is found there because it's formation requires Oxygen and Salt  and no water. So the waves lapping the Boot topping area, wets the surface and then when it gets real calm, that wet area dries out, leaving the Salt (Sodium Chloride) rich on the surface and then the oxygen and Chloride react with the copper oxide and produces the Copper Oxychloride.

But I can't really see that as an issue though. It should not be harmful to Fish and would likely be a very small trace amount in the water column.

Copper 1 Oxide is used (among other things) as a Fungicide and Algacide. It was for this reason that it was used in AF's. It does not dissolve in water and it is also thought to accumulate in Fish.

I too was shocked at seeing it on the list. I had only known that California was threatening it to be banned.

It was the main component in any copper based AF's. And in my opinion, could be one of the main reasons we are seeing a decline in the performance of AF's. I knew a couple of AF's had reduced the quantity of Copper Oxide without making it known and many started complaining that the AF they had used with great results for years suddenly stopped performing for them.

Lateral, I am not sure where I said it was actually banned. I posted the page and the link to the EPA report so as people can read it all for themselves and I stated on the bottom of that post that some chemicals on the list were banned, some had 4yr approval, 10yr approval and what ever else I said.
If I have made a comment that Copper was banned, then that was in error. I have gone bck over my posts and cannpt find such a comment, so could you aim me at it please and I will edit that.

I also do not understand your comment about copper in the Earths Crust. What and when did I say anything about that?

• Downvote 1

I can remember seeing an article in seaspray, nzyachting or some other paper magazine, about a floating flexible brush, that theoretically could be operated from on board.

It was about 2m long plus a handle, and positive buoyancy pressed it against the hull, so it scrubbed the crud off while you stayed dry.

Anyone else remember it, or ever tried it?