Photo

Purchase Anti-foul online from overseas - will it be allowed in by customs?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#71 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

This is the robot cleaner that was at the boat show. 

https://www.keelcrab...lcrab-sail-one/

Not really clear what the ultrasonics do in this - does it relate to the robot scrubbing unit or what looks like an add on of some kind?

I still think there is some potential for a hull cleaner of some kind, maybe even a lower tech solution.  I imagine a plastic scraper and/or brush on a telescopic pole with a cheap underwater camera (maybe +light) would be good enough to clean a lot of hulls from the pontoon/dinghy (obviously observing all rules and regs!).

Don't most marina's ban cleaning the hull while in the marina though? (have i got this wrong?) So I guess most yacht owners wouldn't be able to diy this unless on a swing mooring?

#72 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

It does. When an AF'd Hull is lifted from the water, you may have seen a light trace of emerald green powdery stuff around the waterline areas. It is found there because it's formation requires Oxygen and Salt  and no water. So the waves lapping the Boot topping area, wets the surface and then when it gets real calm, that wet area dries out, leaving the Salt (Sodium Chloride) rich on the surface and then the oxygen and Chloride react with the copper oxide and produces the Copper Oxychloride.
But I can't really see that as an issue though. It should not be harmful to Fish and would likely be a very small trace amount in the water column.
Copper 1 Oxide is used (among other things) as a Fungicide and Algacide. It was for this reason that it was used in AF's. It does not dissolve in water and it is also thought to accumulate in Fish.
I too was shocked at seeing it on the list. I had only known that California was threatening it to be banned.
It was the main component in any copper based AF's. And in my opinion, could be one of the main reasons we are seeing a decline in the performance of AF's. I knew a couple of AF's had reduced the quantity of Copper Oxide without making it known and many started complaining that the AF they had used with great results for years suddenly stopped performing for them.

As I stated before Cu2O is NOT about to be banned. And some AF's have increased content. [copper (1)]

The guts of your link is:

*irgarol or chlorothalonil will no longer be able to be manufactured or imported as the approvals to do so have been declined.

* diuron, octhilinone or ziram have a time-limited approval of four years and thiram ten years

* All other substances assessed continue to be approved but are subject to additional controls.

Why let the facts get in the way of indignance.

Sheesh!!

Bit like the "schooling" you gave me on pure copper in the earths crust, eh wheels.Turns out, it does, just way less prevalent  than ore. I took your correction as fact. ~

From what I have read I do agree with the rest above tho.

Cu & Cu2O to derivatives Copper chlorides(s) copper oxychlorides, hydroxides, carbonate and the efficacy of each giving their live span, relative toxicity, solublity etc. Interesting the "green" above the water line yet brown below. As stated the insolubilility of Cu2o.

I guess I'm wasting words as I've glazed over myself.

BTW... None of our family work for MAF, DOC or councils. Jen works for NOAA.

#73 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Lateral, I am not sure where I said it was actually banned. I posted the page and the link to the EPA report so as people can read it all for themselves and I stated on the bottom of that post that some chemicals on the list were banned, some had 4yr approval, 10yr approval and what ever else I said.
If I have made a comment that Copper was banned, then that was in error. I have gone bck over my posts and cannpt find such a comment, so could you aim me at it please and I will edit that.

I also do not understand your comment about copper in the Earths Crust. What and when did I say anything about that?

#74 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Lateral, I am not sure where I said it was actually banned. I posted the page and the link to the EPA report so as people can read it all for themselves and I stated on the bottom of that post that some chemicals on the list were banned, some had 4yr approval, 10yr approval and what ever else I said.
If I have made a comment that Copper was banned, then that was in error. I have gone bck over my posts and cannpt find such a comment, so could you aim me at it please and I will edit that.

I also do not understand your comment about copper in the Earths Crust. What and when did I say anything about that?

"There has been a number of Chemicals that have now been banned or about to be banned for use in NZ."

LIST...Cu(1)O etc

No harm, I'm just a grumpy pedantic old git.

#75 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

I can remember seeing an article in seaspray, nzyachting or some other paper magazine, about a floating flexible brush, that theoretically could be operated from on board.

It was about 2m long plus a handle, and positive buoyancy pressed it against the hull, so it scrubbed the crud off while you stayed dry.

Anyone else remember it, or ever tried it?

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#76 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,091 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

Yep, remember it, had one, rubbish!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#77 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:25 AM

grab the youngest crew member and keel haul them,worked back in the 16th century,cant see why it wouldnt work today,might even help the unemployed population :idea:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users