3hp yamaha

fuel jets?

with zero load gets enough gas to run at idle on idle  jetting

but the tiny load of engaging gear needs a bit more gas from the main jet but it can't get it as it's blocked?

could also be too much air from a broken oil ring seal etc

if you can get it to idle in gear then spray around the carb with crc, wd40 etc and if there is an air leak the spray will be sucked in and the revs quickly rise

Likely a little bit of grit stuck somewhere. A drop of saltwater over winter could have dehydrated to leave a Salt crystal, which will not dissolve in Fuel and then could have blocked a jet or something. Well done BP. You are part way there to becoming a boaty mechanic expert dude. ;-)

For anyone else reading, a real common issue can be outboard left over Winter with fuel still in the tank. Then summer comes and the owner then pulls and pulls at the cord and the motor will not start, or at best, run rough and be hard to start. Ensure the Tank is emptied at the end of season. Ensure fresh fuel is used the following summer. It is so common for non starting issues to be nothing more than old fuel.

Might be sending you the  ' I can't burn as well as I used to unless everything is perfect'  message too. 

Get new plug.

I just dragged a 1 year old Tohatsu 3.5 all around Tonga and Fiji for 3000 miles as metal baggage  due to a broken fuel tap( 2nd time). The POS . Don't replace your yammy with that crap.

I reckon 90% of little outboard trouble can be traced to old fuel in the carb (much more so than in the tank) turning into a jelly-ish laquer that partially blocks the jets.It is quite difficult to clean too and i usually have to use solvent and compressed air. If you know you aren't going to be using the outboard for a while it can be a good idea to run the carb dry or drain it. This problem arrived when our fuel make-up changed back in the 90's - possibly something to do with jenny shipley - i certainly blame her whenever i find jelly inside a carburettor!