Fast comfortable ocean capable cruiser racer around 70K?

I know these Qs come up all the time, but as I'm fishing in a different sea at the moment, so to speak, I thought I'd defer to the collective wisdom.

So a situation being bandied about in my circle of friends is a guy starting fresh in life again and considering moving up into a bigger boat.

On his list of wants would simply be:

relatively fast (i.e. can plane)

able to be single handed, 34-40ft

some cruising up to the islands

coastal and harbour racing (AKL)

60-80k range.

He's tired of DIY...

What would you go for?

I thought of putting this question in the "Who will buy our boats" thread, but it would get buried. And yes I know it's a well asked question and there are likely a hundred different answers, but things have changed since we last looked at this here. 

I think you need to narrow it down a bit as that is actually quite a big size bracket and so price range as well.

If he is tired of DIY and does not want a Shitter then he should get a well equipped and maintained 32 to 34 ft GRP vessel for that sort of money, nothing bigger in my experience.

• Relatively fast (i.e. can plane) Will get a boat that surfs but actual planing? Even in that last winter series race when it blew 40 plus for a time, hardly anything planed properly.
  • able to be single handed, 34-40ft Yes any boat in that range.
  • some cruising up to the islands Yes virtually anything that weighs 5 tons or more but the better it is at cruising then the less of number 1
  • coastal and harbour racing (AKL) Yes
  • 60-80k range. Hmmmm
  • He's tired of DIY... Earth to Dr Watson, its a boat! :)

Young 11 (rough) or a Farr 38 (Protocol was asking 70)

;)

Yeah, i think DIY means he doesn't want to have to rebuild the deck, or dig out rot or osmosis...

OK, so by planing, yes perhaps full time planing is not going to happen, but some good surfing might be on the cards. Perhaps I should have stated  "something that is not permanently in displacement mode"... 

I feel it's a reasonable budget, but i think for ease of sailing and also getting more boat for buck and higher quality/better condition he'd bet better to look in the 32-35ft range... I'll be working on that angle...

Not sure you'd have to go that rough with a y11.  I know of a couple of reasonably tidy ones asking around the 80-90k mark, which have been for sale quite a while so you'd expect them to be quite negotiable.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't get one for 70 that was fairly tidy for a 30 year old boat.

Or this one would need some work to make it comfortable for cruising, but roomy for a 34.5 footer and looks to have good gear.

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/elliott-10-5-high-anxiety

Or at the cheaper end of the spectrum, what about an S34?  Although it looks like there's only one for 60k on trademe at the moment, they can usually be had for much less than that and usually have a reasonable interior, and perform well.

I can't reconcile the racing and cruising aspects. Choose one or the other.

Yeah I think it'll be more of a one off cruise, rather than an extended sort of thing. Primarily weekend and holiday Barrier or BOI cruising, and weekly racing... so for a shorter cruise to the Islands, I expect one would be happy (more willing) to put up with a few less comforts. 

And it's not like we're talking about taking the gun in the coastal...

if the boat is not cat one to start you may blow a considerable amount of the 70k getting it there....

Agreed, but I think were looking more at a boat that can be got up to cat one, rather than one that's already at cat one. the figures quoted are purchase figures rather than ready to sail to the islands...

An s34 might not be a bad option, he's had a certain amount of experience, having been introduced to sailing aboard one, racing Wednesdays etc man years back. But they are all getting a bit long in the tooth now. That Eliot looks relatively nippy... albeit over the ditch and therefore with the customs and gst jiggery pokery to work through

70 k is very cheap for a boat with or near cat1. Many owners spend close to that setting up an existing boat to cat 1 standard. Which any boat going offshore should be. IMO.

Clearly. Looking more at a boat that could be brought up to cat 1 spec with the correct application of the credit card at a later date...and yes almost any boat can be got there with enough $$ but it's more of a within reason kind of thing. 

ok, just checked out a few...  also ran into this Whiting... https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1314584327.htm

Might be a good one.

Probably not quite right for the criteria  but I just cruised a few thousand miles beside a Lotus ,( a Beale and a Whiting too) and it performed extremely well. 1280 in my case ,but I just have a giant amount of respect for Wright boats as well .Maybe a 10.6?

having said that and for the record, I agree with Matt. I think its far more economic to buy a kitted out boat for more money rather than a cheaper boat  you buy the stuff for. Everything you add as a unit is the cost of a small second hand car and none of that added stuff adds much value to the sell price of the boat.

When I'm in denial I tell myself I've spent 30 k ( oops   typo)on getting my boat ready to leave last may( probably a lot more). What is the boat worth ?.. exactly what it was before spending the money or less because of depreciation.

I know these Qs come up all the time, but as I'm fishing in a different sea at the moment, so to speak, I thought I'd defer to the collective wisdom.

So a situation being bandied about in my circle of friends is a guy starting fresh in life again and considering moving up into a bigger boat.

On his list of wants would simply be:

relatively fast (i.e. can plane)

able to be single handed, 34-40ft

some cruising up to the islands

coastal and harbour racing (AKL)

60-80k range.

He's tired of DIY...

What would you go for?

I thought of putting this question in the "Who will buy our boats" thread, but it would get buried. And yes I know it's a well asked question and there are likely a hundred different answers, but things have changed since we last looked at this here. 

Tell him to wait 20 years and buy your Pogo...???