Fast comfortable ocean capable cruiser racer around 70K?

Tell him to wait 20 years and buy your Pogo...???

hahah yeah, I haven't received it yet and we're already selling it? :) 

But there are a few decent deals on older similar boats here in Europe.

Willow, I guess he'd drop the top speed off his list, but i'm pretty sure he'd then be a grumpy bugger to crew for in any race...

Few of those young 11s look in adequate condition.

I totally agree that buying all that stuff separately is hella expensive, and far better to pick up a boat with it all there, but as I say, an Islands cruise would likely be 5y down the track, maybe longer... 

I wonder how much of the Cat 1 gear I could bring over for him? The prices in Europe, and especially in Germany, are altogether much cheaper than in NZ.

Off the tops of your heads, what are the biggest ticket items? Ocean raft, Satphone/SSB, para anchor (NZ)...

Yeah when we did ours it was lots of items that all cost a few hundred that quickly added up. The ones you mentioned were probably the big things. Epirb, ais mob beacons etc might be worth getting? Raft might be a bit hard to ship with canister and Flares.

I wouldn't be too put off by importing the Elliott, built in aus so no duty, and with an asking price in the 60s if he offered 50 and got it for 55 the gst would be 8k ish which is well within budget. If he needed to have it delivered say 10k for that too. Being raced "offshore" in aus it already looks to be fairly well on the way safety gear wise.

hahah yeah, I haven't received it yet and we're already selling it? :) 

But there are a few decent deals on older similar boats here in Europe.

Willow, I guess he'd drop the top speed off his list, but i'm pretty sure he'd then be a grumpy bugger to crew for in any race...

Few of those young 11s look in adequate condition.

I totally agree that buying all that stuff separately is hella expensive, and far better to pick up a boat with it all there, but as I say, an Islands cruise would likely be 5y down the track, maybe longer... 

I wonder how much of the Cat 1 gear I could bring over for him? The prices in Europe, and especially in Germany, are altogether much cheaper than in NZ.

Off the tops of your heads, what are the biggest ticket items? Ocean raft, Satphone/SSB, para anchor (NZ)...

the sat phone para anchor and drogues all come up second hand and likely never used, I have a spare para anchor at the moment if anyone is looking for one.

Yeah when we did ours it was lots of items that all cost a few hundred that quickly added up. The ones you mentioned were probably the big things. Epirb, ais mob beacons etc might be worth getting? Raft might be a bit hard to ship with canister and Flares.

I wouldn't be too put off by importing the Elliott, built in aus so no duty, and with an asking price in the 60s if he offered 50 and got it for 55 the gst would be 8k ish which is well within budget. If he needed to have it delivered say 10k for that too. Being raced "offshore" in aus it already looks to be fairly well on the way safety gear wise.

Wasn't aware of the "built in Aussie thing", interesting. 

Def the AIS beacons seem like a pretty good thing, esp. if you're not solo... and easy to get over here for a hundred n something each. 

A good auto pîlot would likely be a bigger ticket item, if the boat didn't already have one. The newest ones, e.g. NKE have a man overboard feature (so long as you have the sensor/remote on you) that will round the boat up if you go over.

Raft might have to be a shipped item. Therefore incurring added customs fees etc. Or he could rent/borrow/beg...

What size is that ParaAnchor, ex TL? Is it the NZ made one?

Nz made but not the company in nelson,but a guy in whitianga that makes them, I have another one that I have used off wairarapa overnight and it still looks like new so they seem to be pretty solid. The spare one came off a 38 to 40? Ft cat called island star I think a wright charter design that needed it for cat one, can checkout the size tomorrow if you like but guessing 15 ft or so.if it was the right size for the cat it should be plenty for a mono of similar or less size with less windage.

Bugger me! I just looked up some polars for the Young 11 and compared to the Pogo 36...

You buggers in Young 11s will be getting to the anchorages well before me if it's upwind and anything under 12 knts...  polaire-P36.jpg

Young11modPOLAR.png

For two handed try the Chico 40 I have seen them priced right now what ever you buy in that price range it’s going to need some up grading or even a new motor , rig going over But that makes for a trouble free trip. Chico’s are good two handed Plenty of room , and storage and good in he keel area long fin wide at the top well bolted

Chico 40's are very slow, but make good cruising boats. Conversely the Young 11's are a very quick boat but a bit light and bumpy offshore. Think it was about 5 years ago they did an upwind Noumea race in one and the bulkheads started cracking. I think Booboo was onboard.

Very few offshore cruisers would put their boat through the kind of punishment they took in that race though...  Lot's of y11's around that have done lots of miles (including many trips to the islands etc) with no issues.

Pretty unusual to see a chico 40 within the stated budget, normally they're much more, and if you found one for 70ish I'd question what's wrong with it.

I watched a Y11 in Cook Strait years ago try to go down the mine in big seas. Buried to the mast step, almost completely vertical. We really thought she would pitch pole, but she didn't, and the rig stayed in. They are a bit fine forward for my liking offshore.

By the way, the first time I took island time offshore, I spent 60k on getting her to cat 1....15 years ago.

No fast light boat is fast and light when loaded for an offshore cruise. Unless its big.

You load one up , its just a fast displacement boat like any other fast displacement type boat.  Watermaker or  a ton of water...3,  4 or 500 kg of fuel, two anchors plus two chains.. 150 to 250 kg, food , booze.Spare parts extra tools. Guys I spoke to commented its extremely easy to put  1.5 to 2 tons on your boat  for a cruise and I believe it.

Even our old fashioned mid 70's boat surprised the hell out of me when it occasionally pounded. That was bearable but I just wouldn't want that in any prolonged kind of way.Mind you all we ever did our trip on passage was sail 'cruiser on the wind' ie  anything with a 40 degrees apparent or less  in it. Trade wind sailing broad reaching on long swells yeah right. ahh can we change that to  Colville channel/ Tiri passage wind against tide for 3 or 5 days at a time .. yup.

Wife question/ statement... " I thought you said we wouldn't be sailing on the wind"

Er.

My wife isn't like that really , her husband is the problem with his 20 litres of 'oilchange' oil, 1/2 in drive socket set and toolbags for 'in case'. Spare and storm jibs.. crepe like that.

Pogo ? did I know about the Pogo, Doc. Whats the plan there?

funny 1/2 in drive socket set story in the interests of conversation. Friends had a major fuel issue after leaving Opua and returned because of endless gloop in their keel fuel tanks . Steel Ganley.

After an epic tank drilling rebuild session and big delay all fixed.

One of the discoveries in the keel tank to go with the 20 or 50 litres of bug, a 1/2 in socket set.

Very few offshore cruisers would put their boat through the kind of punishment they took in that race though... Lot's of y11's around that have done lots of miles (including many trips to the islands etc) with no issues.

Pretty unusual to see a chico 40 within the stated budget, normally they're much more, and if you found one for 70ish I'd question what's wrong with it.

It does occasionally happen though. Remember the Chico that had to be abandoned after pounding to weather for a few days? Definitely best avoided. Personally I like Y11's great boats but I don't think I would take the family offshore in one.

Once you and your wife have done a crossing in. A. Y11 it will be on the market or will put you off sailing. ,there not ocean cursing boats but can do it , your price range will get you an old offshore boat but you will have to spend ,