Robertson Autopilot Rudder angle fault

Has anyone had problems with this fault? The autopilot will work well until this fault comes up and then loses steerage. Spare parts for older models?

I have rechecked it and the autopilot isn't nexus but a hydraulic unit that I will have to check on he make??! A Robertson unit.

Need more info on the fault and your set up.

We have a nexus ap, octopus hydraulic pump and a seperate rudder angle sensor, on top of the hydraulic ram.

If we had a rudder angle fault I would suspect the rudder angle sensor. They aren't that robust in comparison to the Rams etc. I think just an electrical resistor thingy, gives more resistance the further the rudder is over, etc. don't mix well with the marine environment.

Robertson is now Navico (Lowrance ,Simrad,B&G). I'm an agent.

Sorry but your description of the fault is a bit vague.

What exactly does the AP say when the fault is present? What is the AP model?

If the error is "no rudder response" then have you actually checked that the rudder moves?

Is there a particular event that triggers the issue? (SSB transmission used to do this a lot!)

Quite likely I can get you a suitable rudder angle sensor if that is actually what the problem is...

OK, that can be the AP needs to have the dockside setup procedure needs to be rerun, to calibrate the sender and to reset the straight ahead position. If you can give me the model of the AP, I should be able to give you the instructions to do this, if you don't have the manual.

Cheers

Matt

Right, getting there. The control unit will be the AP22 (Simrad). The rudder feedback unit looks like an early rfu300 - or maybe a RFU25 - is it possible to read the label?. Whats the AP computer? J300X, J3000X maybe? The type of computer dictates the particular rudder feedback unit required.

Anyway, step on is to do a factory  reset on the AP, and then run through the setup procedure (in the install manual) again to see if the issue goes away. 

If the rudder feedback unit is faulty, or non linear, then the rudder test procedure in the manual should cause the setup to fail.

I think I have a working 2nd hand feedback unit, and, if not, then there is a new one still available that should be ok.

Let me know the AP computer model, and how you get on if the reset doesn't fix it.

Cheers

Matt

Update on repair, I tidied up the wiring, remounted the rudder angle sensor to reduce the variation of angle lock to lock - less Ackermann effect, then remounted one end to stop contact with the steering arm, secured with 3 screws (only 2 and loose before) Re-calibrated the zero and reset the max angles and probably the important crucial part that was mentioned previously - topped up the oil supply. Tested it today and perfect! 

nice work,  i think the oil on my linear drive needs topping as well,   I have given up on the old control heads and now have a second hand ST6001 head and S3 computer with raymarine angle and flux to install over xmas....

got the lot for way less then they wanted for an ap22 on ebay,,,,

Good luck with the reinstall, topping up the oil level is not straight forward as it had to be done with a syringe in a place the was suitable for midgets. The number of options and variables in these types of systems make them difficult to get a clear idea on setting up and then diagnosing faults. Quite often a more simple affair is the best solution.

my quadrant needs a sand blast and repaint, I was going to take apart and remove the linear drive , sort out out,  then reinstall quadrant , it looks worse then it is....   but still needs doing..   once thats out be easy to get at the linear drive...   also my old computer was installed above engine nuts...    going to install new one in the rear quarter berth with all wiring running direct to that point for access at sea.     Got a St4000 wheel pilot of trademe as a backup, going to install that first while I plan the main install....  will be fine around the gulf.

main drive is the Simrad HDL2000 its fine in a bigger sea but errors on small movements, could be the rudder thing but as have no heads anymore may just find the drive is fine as is.  Hasn't seen any love for 10 years

where my drive attaches to the quadrant is very mickey mouse as well,  going to weld on a stainless thing (currently nut job) which the linear attaches to....