21 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

I've just discovered a race I want to do isn't actually one unless you are in/get IRC. Bugger!!!

Would you expect IRC and a stock R930 to be good mates, mates, acquaintances, Not talking or 'I'm gonna feck that bitch up'?

Any cunning ideas on how to tweak for a better IRC number?

#2 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

MarkM should know this one, I would have thought it should be ok ish, a little on the light side, I think it likes non overlapping head sails either A kites or S Kites but not both and a proper interior, all depends what you are racing against and the expected conditions.

Will be hard to win on IRC upwind but should be good off the wind.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Was this race on Planet Earth?

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#4 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

I think it's probably the Solo Tasman.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#5 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

IRC tends to drive a compromise in the boats ability to be a nice boat to sail. I.e. If using a square top main, not a full square top but a weeny one, and as willow mentioned, a sails or s sails but not both. A classic IRC boat is your text book European AWB. Another example is a smaller headsail than ideal for actually moving, but a smaller headsail gives a better handicap. And I think I've seen your headsail before, not sure but you should get a good IRC number with it...

But that said, are you doing the race to win in some random handicap system, or doing the race for the purity of sailing, the challenge, and some bragging rights (assuming you actually make it).

I'd expect the reptile to be mid range on IRC, I.e. Not optimised, but not too far out the back door. Against th typical TT fleet you'd be fine. If someone rocks up with an optimised AWB, and know how to sail, then they'd have an advantage.
I'd just put up your biggest kite, hang on and enjoy the ride.

#6 pacifier

pacifier

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

KM... i’m considering leaving the kite pole at home since I have a genniker that will go to 160TWA. I might have to run a couple of trial certs with and without sym kites. Other than that Absolut is heavy, has a full interior, non-overlappers and should have short rigid prod for A sails by the time the race rolls around. You’ll probably have to give me time on IRC ;-)

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Hmmmmm...... not liking the sound of this. It appears, from my limited knowledge to date and above comments, I've been working against a IRC not towards it, bugger!!!!!

The stuff being mentioned as not the best for IRC are some of the very things I've intentionally added.

I'm seriously pissed with myself I didn't notice this sooner.

#8 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

Globally KM, currently you can't go past a JPK1080 or the earlier JPK 1010.  The custom IRC designs by Jason Ker or Mark Mills are also pretty good and the Cookson 50s are something of a legend for IRC.  Most of the European production cruiser / racer designs aren't bad either. 

Locally a 1020 or most of the farr designs rate at least okay, always liked the 88 rating though only Flying Machine in Christchurch has taken IRC seriously, Playbuoy did okay under IRC as well.

Guessing though that's not really what you're asking and whether you're wasting your time will depend on the race and who's in it.

In general for a 930, don't bother, you haven't a hope in hell, if you want to win buy a Farr, i'tll be cheaper than the mods to make a 930 better but better is better than a 930 you don't change, not better I'll win.

Comparison, an 88 should rate somewhere between 0.935 and 0.948, a 1020 0.945 to 0.960 while the class standard 930 comes in a little over 0.980.  The tweaked ones go as high as 1.05 but no ones got a cert for the most heavily tweaked 930s, The Entertainer, No Worries et al will be higher again.  In very specific conditions you may sail to the rating but basically you're praying for conditions where a 930 is planing all day and no one else can, possible but probably happens only one time in 25 depending on the race so not real good odds.

If it's the Solo Tasman, traditionally hasn't had much IRC but looking at the entry list, don't like your chances.  Katana (assuming that's ex SF3600) will be very competitive, as will the Sigma 36 and the S&S 34.  Zenith should be okay if they get a cert and don't race with their code zero.  Most of that fleet shouldn't rate too badly, like the 930s, the Leisure 42 is punnished somewhat by the rule but I suspect she has a lot more scope to successfully optimise if they want to.

Sorry, suspect my comments basically suck from your perspective.

#9 S.M.U.

S.M.U.

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Come on Knotie Adventure is where it's at. Point A to Point B fastest and alive!

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Sorry, suspect my comments basically suck from your perspective.

Yes you're right there but thanks all the same fella. It does confirm the little I know, been told, suspected.........BUGGER!!!!!

Yes Katana is that very Sunfast. Nigel sails her well and is getting faster each time I see him. That pair will be a very competitive package and sound like they should definitely be in IRC.

Come on Knotie Adventure is where it's at. Point A to Point B fastest and alive!

Adventure is good and I'm all for it but that's not what I've spend a lot of time and coin changing my boat for. I mistakenly assumed there was some H/Cing action, more than just IRC, so have been working on staying close enough to the fast boats to have a good crack at some H/C podium action. That appears to have put me more offside with IRC than we were before we started.

Bugger bugger bugger.

This is absolutely no reflection on the TT by the way, it's all on a stupid prick not reading things as close as he should have and in doing so proving the adage 'Assumption is the mother of all....... disconbobulations' 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users