Overlapping headsails on 930s

RedLine

Just about to spend some money on an overlapping headsail. Prob 135-150% overlapper for my boat. The 930's as you all probably know are are set-up for self tackers. With a full width Matrix rig, there is going to be a very wide sheeting Angle, am Im worried that pointing ablitly might not be too good if you end up having to sheet around the outside of the spreaders.

Interested what other have found to get around this, any photos of your set-up might be useful, b4 I part with any of the folding stuff. Must be do-able judging by the no of 930's with over-lappers. Just interested in what other have done, and how they have set them up.

Any feed back. pic's or advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Stu

Alot of the guys are also just running full size non overlapping jibs (sheet inside the stays) with roach so they are as big as possible, that sheet to a track on the cabintop (or on the deck with inhaulers) and full hoist, you will end up with a sail that is 50% bigger than the class self tackers and it will sheet inside the sidestays and spreaders so pointing is not an issue. These sails are more effective in the 7-18kt range than the overlapper for upwind work but alot of the guys here who run the big overlappers use them for rum racing and/or reaching around the harbour so they are pretty effective for that. the overlapper would only work with a class keel up to about 10kts then I think you would be on your side and pointing real low.

Personally i would run with the non overlapper, its a cheaper sail being smaller and the battens will make it look better and last longer. I think the deck track with inhaulers gives you the best ability for changing gears and better modes of height and speed when needed. The cabin top track is less hassle and less ropes but only gives you the max inboard position.

Then get a jibtop with a higher clew for reaching, you can cut down an old Y88 genoa or simmilar. A reaching sail would be pretty handi for the round north island race.

class jib sizes-

luff 8.9

leech 8.077

Foot 3.124

LP 2.8

Area 13sqm

Max size non overlapper on a standard class rig size-

luff 10.1

leech 8.97

foot 3.6

LP 3.2

Area 17sqm

You can see the substantial difference in area.

I have a OL but can't sheet inside the shrouds and it looks shite so it hardly gets used. Maybe if it was a new Booboo non-shite looking model it might. Lightfoot uses hers a fair bit (when knot in 'class mode') and seems to like it. Pepe has been seen with one as have most others. Pepe's is a good looker from a small distance.

In a recent race we passed 2 boats with overlappers on when we were all just cracked sheets in 10 odd knots of breeze. I'm knot sure what that tells us as I would have expected that knot to be possible but it happened.

I really don't think the difference in size between a OL and a std self-tacker is translated into an equivalent jump in boat speed. At certain times it does but that 'certain time' is quite narrow. And you do run the risk of overpowering very quickly. As we know these buggers don't like that. Also a self-tacker boat will kick the arse of a OL carrying boat come tacking time.

I think I would be taking Booboos post very deeply into the consideration process.

There is also the look angle. An OL makes you look like a Y88 at a distance. Do you really want that? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

There is also the look angle. An OL makes you look like a Y88 at a distance.

That would make it the cheapest way to near-double the value of a 930. You guys should be blazing a path to Booboo's door. :thumbup:

Sorry, KM set it up so well and I couldn't help myself. :silent:

Thanks Guys

I have had a few other replies about how others have set theirs up. I was begining to think about perhaps pulling back from 135-150% OL with outside sheeting.

Maybe going for a full hoist headsail that would be good in the light maybe 110-115% that allows inboard sheeting so you can point, and that has a bit more horse power than one of the std self tackers. Going to take a thousand measurements and see what I can get away with.

Just dont want to spend the money and find it doesnt work and it then gets left in the bag!

As the class headsails do leave a huge gap at the top I've wondered about making a self tacker but to the maximum on all measurements. Obviously it won't be a Class sail but maybe better option than a over lapper, a bit of a 'best of both worlds' thing. I reckon there is a nice sq mt of space sitting up there currently sail cloth free with the way the shortish class sails tend to leave a lot of halyard exposed. I reckon with some jiggery in the clewboard area I could get a 100mm or 2 less space between the leach and mast as well.

Haven't spoken to anyone to see if it's s good idea or knot.

You spend the money 1st and if it works I'll then get one :lol: :lol:

HI

KM RU sailing No Worries the R930 out of Bayswater. If so I crewed fro U a few times, and did a Coastal Classic with U a few years back?

Im now thinking along Similar line for a new headsail, but not on the self tacker, prob around 115% so it can jsut be inside sheeted on the cabin roof.

I'll let u know how it pans out.

Stu

Nope knot No Worries, that would be Ian.

We are parked 2 fingers over and have the name Suburban Reptile on the topsides. We are a Class boat where No Worries is fully turboed inc a new carbon rig. NW is in superb nic, Ian has done a great job on the big tickle. And looking at her deck you could understand how Harken could afford to buy Fosters, Ian had just been shopping. More gear on her than is in the Harken catalogue :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might do the CC this year but to make it interesting go solo or only 2 up, we'll see.

r and have the name Suburban Reptile on the topsides. e.

There's little else on the top sides..... where other boats rely on upgrading sails to go faster....the reptile sheds some more skin! :P

With the lightweight and getting lighter paint job, it does mean the years of battle scars can be seen easily. There are a fair few and the odd one is quite large :)

None are mine ........................... yet!

With the lightweight and getting lighter paint job, it does mean the years of battle scars can be seen easily. There are a fair few and the odd one is quite large :)

So you get plenty of room on the Start line KM. Good tactic!

So you get plenty of room on the Start line KM. Good tactic!

From what I have heard...... there is always plenty of space on his startline........

all the rest of the fleet is 5 minutes down the track. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived