98 replies to this topic

#1 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

What the hell is wrong with little thinking robots in the mine , it’s a labour mentality, saying they are going to retrieve the body’s buy robot , the police walked in there recently, what’s wrong with them , just suit up and enter the mine , take some of the miners who want to get involved , I am sick of it , they just p,,,, about so much

#2 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

I think you have gotten the wrong end of the stick Myjane. Little is planning a manned re-entry from what I have read/seen. This morning he was taking the piss out of the gnats plan to invent and develop a robot to go in there. (Another delay tactic)

Article here http://www.newshub.c...iver-widow.html

#3 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

And this has what to do with sailing?

#4 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Ok, I admit I'm not big on ceremonious type stuff but this body removal business confounds me.
A huge amount of money and time is going to be spent in extracting whatever miniscule bits remain after all this time of those poor miners. And after bringing to the surface, various entities are going to say a few nice words and then...well I guess they just go back underground again. ???
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#5 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

it's all about "empowerment"

Oh, The grand old Duke of York,
He had ten thousand men;
He marched them up to the top of the hill,
And he marched them down again.

Now when you're up, you're up,

And when you're down, you're down,

And when you're only half-way up,

You're neither up nor down

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#6 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

Ok, I admit I'm not big on ceremonious type stuff but this body removal business confounds me.
A huge amount of money and time is going to be spent in extracting whatever miniscule bits remain after all this time of those poor miners. And after bringing to the surface, various entities are going to say a few nice words and then...well I guess they just go back underground again. ???

If you had a kid down that mine then your comment would carry some weight.

If my kid was down there while the fat cats walked away with their 80 million dollar insurance payout, refused to honour the court ordered compensation to the families and politicians create laws designed to prevent anyone recovering bodies and holding people to account I would be more than a little pissed.

I think this guys opinion is probably worth a bit more than most..

http://www.newshub.c...a-cover-up.html

#7 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

You're maybe right about a child. But I do have some shipmates lying in the bushland inland from Port Hedland in what was Biafra. What they were was extinguished by a bunch of guys in a surprise attack. They are probably still there. What remains of them is, well, remains. It's true that ambos or in my case an ex ambo do have a bit of a jaundiced view but what exactly do you see remaining when the spark of life goes out?
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#8 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Had thought they should go in,but as time passes,leave their with there mates.

Maybe enter to have a look but not disturb those left behind.

Easy for me to say as I am not affected.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#9 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

What the hell is wrong with little thinking robots in the mine , it’s a labour mentality, saying they are going to retrieve the body’s buy robot , the police walked in there recently, what’s wrong with them , just suit up and enter the mine , take some of the miners who want to get involved , I am sick of it , they just p,,,, about so much

I believe the "robot" is a preliminary investigation. They are not going up the drift with it, they've already done that and ran into various obstructions, being a loader and a rock fall. This current long winded plan is to bore a pilot hole into the drift from above, behind the obstructions, and drop a camera / robot to do a recon. The gnats have been f**king around with the plan for so long, Little may as well execute it.

In terms of calling them "robots" I don't believe they are any difference from a bog standard sewer pipe camera, I.e. drainage CCTV. Slight differences in spec, wheel size and monitors. The classic is to strap a gas meter on th back and every 2 min swivel the camera head around to read it. Saves on Telemetry.

The pilot hole is small so they need a small "robot" camera.

The benefit of the recon with the camera is to confirm other obstructions along the drift. A basic rule of confined space entry (I.e. Anywhere needing BA) is to not obstruct your exit. Similar to wreck diving in some aspects. The more obstructions along the drift, the greater the risk profile of manned entry. Put a camera in, quantify the risk, plan how to deal with it, execute the plan.

It's just difficult to leave out emotion in this job. Especially with both media and politicians involved. Not to mention the families.

#10 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

You're maybe right about a child. But I do have some shipmates lying in the bushland inland from Port Hedland in what was Biafra. What they were was extinguished by a bunch of guys in a surprise attack. They are probably still there. What remains of them is, well, remains. It's true that ambos or in my case an ex ambo do have a bit of a jaundiced view but what exactly do you see remaining when the spark of life goes out?

I think in your example here, you have a good understanding of what happened. You are right that recovering the physical remains has no physical benefit. I can understand that.

I think in the case of Pike River, there is a real lack of understanding of what actually happened. The families have often said in the media that they want answers. Part of going into th drift at the least is a search for information, clues and maybe answers.

Further to that, a not insignificant portion of the population feel there is more than a minor chance of a cover up here. The gnats were in ball deep with NZ Oil and Gas, and Pike River itself. At the time of the explosion, coking coal was worth something like $250 / tonne...
There was a LOT of money to be had if they could get the coal out of that mine.
If there wasn't a cover up, there was certainly an abject failure of the mechanisms of State to carry out their functions.

Regulators, industry oversight, H&S legislation, corporate accountability, then after the event any effective rescue, basic command and control of the situation, independent investigation and finally abject failure of the Justice system.

Nothing can bring those guys back, but entering the drift just may give some information, or an answer to what actually happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users