• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

If we had the best public transport in the world everyone would use it. I can think of three recent occasion in Auckland where a viable public transport option was provided and in each case immediately over subscribed.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#22 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Public transport? That's worthy of it's own thread, or maybe it's own website!

But until then...

It takes me 1:05 to drive from home in Huntly to Northcote point or LSB, unless I leave at the wrong time.

Depending on which car I drive, it's between $20-40 round trip. Sadly I usually have to take the more expensive one, as I can't fit the family in, or dinghy on, the other one.

Adding an extra few dollars isn't really gonna make much difference, if I were to use public transport it would take 4 hours. That's assuming the overland train is running at a convenient time. It generally doesn't.

It would be bus to Hamilton, train to Auckland, bus to the north shore, and taxi or feet to the boat, all while carrying sailing gear, outboard, and dragging kids. I can't imagine the price, probably around $150.

As most of my neighbours and friends down here also work in Auckland, you'd think they'd organise a decent rail link.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#23 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

I don't buy the exchange rate argument at all, the NZX seems to be firing on all cylinders, and the dollar is still doing pretty well.

The NXZ and exchange rate are quite different things. And you should very much buy into the exchange rate argument, especially at the moment with it's recent and significant drop.

I've been sussing our prices all morning due to the 4 weeks of large change we have and are experiencing.

An example and a real one. A EU made product extensively used in NZ and we supply 100% of it which is around 50% of the total market, maybe a little more. It cost us 4 Euros a unit. The change in the dollar sees what was a month ago, back to NZ dollars now, costing us 6.34 a unit is now 6.89 a unit, that's before it even leaves the factory. Add freight, which has a high fuel cost content plus a sh*t load of regulation like costs, so a what a month ago was 6.59 a unit is now 7.21 and it's only just arrived at a NZ wharf. We put a 50% margin on that, and the resellers price of 9.89 has gone up to 10.82 a unit cost. They put 50% on and we see 14.83 has become 16.22. Then add GST so the end price which a month ago was 17.05 is now $18.66 per unit, up 9.5%. This is the first time I've increased the price of this product in 6 years. Another key product we supply 90% of the market, over 100,000 units a year going up pretty much the same amount and that's the first time for over 5 years.

Now lets add in the wage increases everyone is about to get, the increase in carbon taxes, the new fuel taxes, the new rate increases, the other tax increases coming not to mention gawd knows what that was jacked up behind the closed doors and buy now as I'm thinking that $18.66 a unit won't last long before it goes up again.

We will see a LOT of that sort of increases over the next wee while. Some will be more, some less and while most will be justified a lot will be opportunistic just because they can in an environment that will see a lot of price changing, mostly upwards, action. Hide rises in the mist so to speak.

It's just what happens when governments change ideologies, staff and so on. As this current one has yet to tell everyone what it's going to do and how that will be paid some are taking the opportunity to build in some extra in due to the uncertainty that creates. Add in the world economy trying to shake free of the GFC with the inflationary costs that are starting to be seen and things won't be getting any cheaper. Then add in the chinese governments drive to be bigger cleaner wiser etc, which it is doing as I write, and things won't be getting any cheaper.

After what has been a pretty stable ride for NZers, maybe not so for other countries, it'll make the changes that are and are about to happen seem pretty savage in places I suspect. NZ is heading into a time where lots of things, internally and externally, are changing, some quite dramatically, at once so I also suspect we'll have a bumpy ride for a wee while. It was inevitable but not a reason to throw yourself off a tall structure. The Government knows it has a tidy solid economy and it would be silly to bust it so I think, hope, we'll only see them fiddle with the out puts not the structure itself. That is what Robertson has been saying so lets hope he's not full of sh*t. Oh hang on, he's got Winston to answer too....

Don't forget Harry you are in the small very privileged and very very heavily subsided part of the city. The majority of the city doesn't have the public transport or the billions of dollars more being poured into it that you have. The rest of us have the pleasure of paying for it but we don't get any of it ourselves.

#24 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

Its alright KM,cannot get to work using public transport but can get home,so on day 3 what do I do?? I now have 2 cars at work because I used the train to get home. 13 minutes at 4.30am in car,pm can tajke 45/1hr at 5.00pm

train/bus in the pm $3.50 and takes 1.25hrs there no connecting bus,it arrives 20 minutes after train

Train station at work 3 minute walk, neareast bus stop 40 minute walk

Petrol is cheap when it comes to time management.

Many employers ask "Do you have your own transport"why because they want staff at work on time,not when the bloody train/bus thinks when you need to be at work.

Very true in our work place,no car no job,maybe employers need to pay to fuel levy to employees??

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#25 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

Fueled up this morning at bon accord $1.29 members price. All good

#26 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Its alright KM,cannot get to work using public transport but can get home,so on day 3 what do I do?? I now have 2 cars at work because I used the train to get home. 13 minutes at 4.30am in car,pm can tajke 45/1hr at 5.00pm

Working weird times would make it hard. At 4.30am I'd take 6-7 mins to get from home to work, a couple less if I pushed. But generally it takes me around 12-15mins on my bike or somewhere between 15 and 90mins on 4 wheels depending if drivers in Sth Auckland have been playing bumper cars or not. I could get there a lot faster on one of my bikes but car drivers at 8:30am are far more concerned with having breakfast, putting on make up or reading the herald on their phones than driving their cars, easy 35% of them, so it's a very dangerous time to not be in a steel cage like they are.

Note the 8:30. If I leave 30mins earlier I arrive at the same time. I leave the oriface at 6 usually so only have the council encourage congestion on Lake Rd to content with, which I do by using the bike lane, usually at around 80kph just to piss off the car drivers :)

To take a bus I need to walk a kilometre (as buses drive past me) then one bus to Taka, $1.85 then swap buses to the Valley, $1.85, then walk a couple of kilometres which entails walking past the yard where the bus goes once it drops me off a kilometre earlier. Takes around an hour to 1 1/2, more if Sth Aucklanders have been dicks. So the average speed of the PT is only around 5kph.

For the return trip home departing at my usual 6pm, when you punch that into the AT system the only option you have is 'Walk'.

My car costs $2-3, my bike maybe $1. For me public transport is probably the slowest, most costly and the most inflexible option I have and at times, even common people moving around times like 6pm, there simply is no public transport option.

I encourage the lads to use 2 wheels simply as most have no need for 4 so why waste the time and coin. The powers that be are 100% dumbarse dipshit shallow thinking retards simply as they ignore 2 wheels when with some little, and it would take bugger all more than creating a pile of 'Motorsickle only' parking spots they could get a motherload of cars off the road in no time. With the creation of more bus and cycle lanes it is getting easier to get 2 wheels away from the 4 wheeled fuckwits who are a big scary barrier to many who could ride bikes and scooters from doing so. But No we have to take the long slow expensive options before even trying a splash of common sense, typical entitled 1% thinking.

47% of Motorcycle deaths are caused by a 4 wheeled vehicle. Dept of Stats about 6 months ago.

#27 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Good news comrades, I have been checking with my construction team and we have managed to get the Mangere bridge construction team back together to build the new airport light rail.  Planning is already well underway and we expect to have the timeline confirmed shortly, once we have decided how many strikes we will need.

#28 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Motorcycles definitely the way to go.  50% of the time my car commute would take, with the car about 75% of the bus travel time. 

#29 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Any environmentalists in the audience?

Not exactly public transport, but I'm about to drive 20km, and jump on a coal fired steam train for the afternoon.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#30 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Any environmentalists in the audience?

Yeap but it's OK as that CO2 you'll produce does encourage plant growth which is needed to feed the poor and make bio fuels. So technically you are being very planet and inhabitant friendly even if taking the 'short term pain for long term gain' track to get there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users