#1 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Does anyone know where I can source a fore beam from? A rigger pointed me to Ulrich and told me to get T6 rated, Ulrich said they only have T5.
The grass is greenest where you water it......If light is the fastest thing. Then how did the dark get there first?

Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#2 NZTiger

NZTiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationManukau

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

Nothing but tumbleweed and the whistling sound of the wind on this topic.  You probably need to make the topic name "Carnage from broken fore beam.." and then commence your post with "... is what will happen if no one suggests a decent supplier."

On a serious note, is it worth starting a topic called, "Suggested suppliers for maintaining/improving 8.5 multis" where us newcomers could get suggestions as to who the "go to" people are for sails, rigging, tramps and the general wizardry for setting up our GBEs and similar?

#3 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

On a serious note, is it worth starting a topic called, "Suggested suppliers for maintaining/improving 8.5 multis" where us newcomers could get suggestions as to who the "go to" people are for sails, rigging, tramps and the general wizardry for setting up our GBEs and similar?

I like this suggestion.

I replaced my forward beam a year ago with whatever Urlich had - I recall they only had 1 that fitted/was the correct diameter.

#4 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yeh good idea NZTiger the info must be out there somewhere. Maybe this Cat sailing game is one of those dark arts that no one talks about......
The grass is greenest where you water it......If light is the fastest thing. Then how did the dark get there first?

Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#5 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Whatever you do make sure you put in a compression tube from the forestay back to the mast. Essentual if you want to really load it up with anything off the prod. Stiffens the whole platform and much easier to do now.

I replaced the main beam in mine which was a real ass of a job.

#6 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:09 AM

Sourced a beam from Sparloft industries. Then Me and crew replaced the beam a few weeks ago. Was super easy, kept the boat floating at the beach, slid out the old and in with the new.

Looking forward to putting up a bit more sail and having some fun!

Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#7 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Well I'm learning slowly... My new-last-year forward beam has cracked with about 50mm left intact.  I hadn't sleaved it, which I think is the primary issue. 

I've asked John/Sparloft for a quote. 

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

#8 MartinRF

MartinRF

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:30 AM

I had this problem when my Spyder was almost new. We didn't crack the forebeam. We 'only' bent it -- beafed it up and then bent it again. Other Spyders in Europe have broken beams so clearly a weak point with this design.

In 1989 I re-engineered the crossbeams from the ground up together with a friend and that was that.

/Martin

#9 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

Watching the old GBE forebeam use to always scare me when beating upwind in a blow and chop.  Doing the same yesterday in the T made me very pleased about the size of the forebeam - very very stiff.  Now I just need a bum clean and some decent sails to really make her hum upwind.

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#10 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

We put Freedom's old square top main on and have been having quite a bit of fun but we've had a couple of lumpy trips lately and it's been working pretty hard.  It is quite alarming the amount of movement in a GBE that's considered 'normal'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users