Bayswater Boating Club

Was just reading that.  When we had our boat at Bayswater I often drove past thinking it could be turned into a great house. (obviously two chances of that ever happening...)

Pretty interesting they sailed it around there back in the 20's.

If council is going to stop the sale I guess they're going to front up with the money to restore it?

• Upvote 1

The old man use to recite tales of the dances held there,hiding beer in the bushes etc if the tide was right tieing up the 18ft v class and try and entice the ladies down dress frock and all. if they werent causing havoc at bayswater they would be creating it at the pirateship at milford,and he had the check to condone some of my antics.

Can remember when Shore sails operated from there in the 70s and getting off cuts of spinnaker clothe to make model yacht sails,early 1970s,think it was Frank Warnock who operated from there??

Lot of history,guess the council needs to invest some coin to save it seeing how they stopped it being sold.

You would have thought it would be worth the Council reconsidering their stance - it would be a much better asset to the community if someone bought and restored for whatever purpose than just letting it become more of an eye sore....

It outlived its original purpose some time ago

TV news the last few nights have been laying into the Sea level rise thing re the Pacific islands and the reports are total bollocks. They are making it sound like the Pacific is going under. One village in Fiji has had to be shifted 2Kms inland due to High tides and Storm surges etc. There was only a very brief comment in passing about Bianimarama being after a slice of the $100Billion pie up for grabs. But there are calls, and one making a call is the Greens leader, that we should be allowing Island residents special Visas that state they are Climate refugees and allow them to move to NZ. I have no problem with them coming here, refugee or not, but I do get annoyed with this bollocks rubbish over Sea level rise.

• Upvote 2

Have to agree with wheels on the TV news in regard to sea level rise. Every night you get more of this rubbish. I wish the Jurnos could actually tell us how much the sea level has risen in the last ten years, and i don't mean some wild statement from the Greens.

Have to agree with wheels on the TV news in regard to sea level rise. Every night you get more of this rubbish. I wish the Jurnos could actually tell us how much the sea level has risen in the last ten years, and i don't mean some wild statement from the Greens.

national geographic says 10-20 cm in the last 100 years so I guess 1-2cm in the last ten?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/sea-level-rise/

Could be a few years from being overcome by the tide just yet...

Re sea level rise, we don't want bs "balance" we want truth and facts.

Here's 2 facts:

Fact 1: During the last deglaciation sea level rose 10 cm per year for 200 years.

Fact 2: The rate of temp and CO2 increase now is faster than when that happened.

Go and look it up on a science website instead of #climatedenier websites because I won't be wasting my time again with #climatedeniers who get their "facts" from the Murdoch press and that wonderfully intelligent scientist Don Trump.

I'm all for reducing CO2 pollution and monitoring sea level rise, but implying a 100mm per year rise is just hyperbole and just as unscientific as denying the effect altogether.

Exactly.

Sea Level is a very difficult thing to measure. Simply because Ocean Temperature plays such a huge roll in level due to expansion. And the Sea is not level. There are enormous variations all over the show. Simply because a large lump of Glacier melts and runs into the Sea does not mean the entire Ocean now rises by x amount. Rise is very patchy all over the World.

Then add into that, Plate Tectonics. Constant moving of enormous masses of Continent/Sea floor, has enormous influence of Sea levels, constantly causing change. And then there are the Atolls themselves. All Atolls Sink. That is how they go from an Island to an Atoll and finally just a reef. Much slower than Sea Level rise, but it is still happening.

Second point, and much more important, at least one of those Islands complaining of the Sea flooding over it, is due to the fact that they have been selling the Sand off their Beach, by the Barge full, to other Islands to build Roads etc from. The island then settles down to fill the void again and is then lower.