L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

Any Nelson/Marlborough people on here?

I’m looking at booking a holiday in Mahau Sound in January. The house comes with it’s own mooring so I was thinking I’d drop the boat in at Havelock and meet the family at the house. Only issue is the road looks quite windy and the boss isn’t very keen on hauling a trailer through there.

I wondered if there are there any facilities at the ramp in Havelock to leave a trailer for up-to 7 days. From what I remember of Havelock (10+ years) I‎t seemed to be well catered for.

Thanks!

#2 PeteG

PeteG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

During the holiday period port marl/council usually open up the rugby ground right in front of the ramp for trailer parking. Give port marlborough a call to check 021 2429165 or havelock@msmarinas.co.nz

#3 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks!

#4 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

The only downside is what Port M are likely to charge you.
Yes it is a winding road out to Mahua, but it is not bad and not that Far. The two worse parts are around Cullins point and down the other side. Then you have a flat straight part to Linkwater, then another short smallish climb and winding part down again into Mahau. If you took the Trailer out with you, you can have the ability to tow it just a little further on around to the Kenapuru. Which then gives you some fantastic scenery. Where as it is a long way to sail around to. I don't know how much depth you need to launch, but Broughton Bay is just a tad on from Mahau and there is a beach launch area there. Although the Bay had been silting up badly due to Forestry, so I am not up with how deep the water is there now.

#5 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Wheels.

I've looked a bit closer at exactly where the house is, it's about halfway between Hoods Bay and Moeutapu Bay at the end of the channel markers out of Havelock on Moetapu Bay Road.

According to Navionics it's about a 30 minute motor out into the fork of Kenepuru sound? My though was that this was pretty good as towing it I'd have to rig/de-rig etc.

I will have a look at Broughton bay though, I need just under 0.5 to float.

#6 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

I took a drive all around that area 2 years ago (I like the idea of retiring to the sounds in about 10 or 15 years) and visited the boat ramps too as we take our trailer sailor out of havelock almost every summer and have pondered the idea of a holiday home as a base too.We are no strangers to towing yachts around the country side but i would be pretty pensive about towing a yacht to mahau in peak season due to having to contend with tourists in campervans etc. I recall quite tight access to the ramps in the area and campervans parked in dumb places (one was even parked on the actual ramp and left there presumably while they went sightseeing) so it could easily become a nightmare.Quite a few places if you meet a campervan someone will have to reverse and i haven't seen too many tourists that can drive forward let alone backwards! I respect wheels advice but on this occasion I'd launch at Havelock . I think that area is one of the nicest anywhere and if you have good weather it would be a fantastic holiday.

#7 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks guys, I've contacted the marina to see what the go is.

#8 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Just in case anyone else is interested, to launch and park for the day is $15 and $6 for additional days of parking the trailer. Pretty bloody good if you ask me 😀

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users