• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

I'm just in the design stage for a main to replace the aging Dacron main on my R930.

Definitely going to a square top as the rig is free of a backstay and was designed with one in mind.

Question is how big to go? Anyone switched to a square-top with any advice. I've picked up that you can go a bit bigger because of the way they twist off, but not sure how big to goon an already reasonably tender boat.

Sailing will be mostly harbour courses and coastal stuff. 

#2 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Is it the Standard Keel or modded? 

Find the fastest one with a similar keel and Rig and copy them, no point experimenting unless you have loads of cash to blow.

http://racetrack.org....php?classid=15

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Pretty much no limit, just need a stiff top batten

Attached Files

• Attached File  gaff.jpg   25.23KB   0 downloads

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#4 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

The keel isn't the major thing as there are lots of standard keel r930's running square top mains.

Too big a square top creates drag which negates the extra speed produced. 

The good thing is that R930's have been doing square top mains for a while now and the sail makers arn't experimenting too much any more. 

Get quotes from the major lofts and compare pricing and laminates. talk to the owners and see what they say. 

airship and testarossa have pretty nice evolution square tops. 

norths make a really nice square top too currently on no worries ( i think), pepe and a few others. 

I have a pretty nice doyles square top on rafferty rules

I'd be more worried about the laminates they're using. The biggest difference in the last few years is that the laminates have gotten better ( apparently) with the new stratis and norths 3di laminates getting much longer life.

If you're pinging several grand on a laminate mainsail you want it to last several years of hard racing and the old laminates are not that durable. 

I've seen fairly new ish laminate sails from various lofts fall apart sooner than I would have liked. 

#5 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Only one of the 930s had an uncontrolled square top but that seems to have disappeared, ETNZ are doing a bit of work in this area at the moment-and as others have commented all the cloth and sailmakers are getting better at them, of course BP has the answer gaff or for the ultimate a large lugsail.  

#6 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thanks heaps,

The boat has the old keel.

Will look at what testarossa is running.

#7 Changed

Changed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Had 12% first and then stepped up to 20% ( foot length). Thing you will notice most is the ease with which you can control ragging when the breeze gets up. Wouldn't go back to a pin head.(Ross 8.5m)

#8 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

Had 12% first and then stepped up to 20% ( foot length). Thing you will notice most is the ease with which you can control ragging when the breeze gets up. Wouldn't go back to a pin head.(Ross 8.5m)

Magic! Looks like most of the 930’s are in 20% range too.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

My new one is 350mm, that's all the Ross boat ex owner/sailor sail maker would put on his own boat.

930's don't like leaning over.

930's will heel 5 degrees if you have a big sneeze.

Be careful not to over cook the sail area.

#10 Ptown

Ptown

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Good choice. I was going to say that the North one on Hotdogger is the nicest I've seen and it'd be about 350mm. Agree on the sneeze. I still don't have a square top and cat3 have to run the class main and still have not seen any obvious disadvantage, but we've got a few options to stay powered up. Geeze you must be close to getting her back in the water if you're buying sails! 

Cheers

facebook.com/Ross930

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users