20 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

When the discussion on the class rule changes were happening, which involved some very long time thru to newbie but many knowledgeable owners, not one thought increasing the rig size was a good idea, it just isn't needed.

Adding a 20% ST is adding a lot of sail area. I would do so with much caution.

Yeap, if I had some time I could be wet in 2 weeks.

#12 Frickie

Frickie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAuckland NZ

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

I love my ST main... and very strong sail too. Wouldn't go back to pin head. Same sailmaker as Changed, just as happy.

Boat boats boats...

#13 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

I love my ST main... and very strong sail too. Wouldn't go back to pin head. Same sailmaker as Changed, just as happy.

You are swinging bigger tackle than Houndog though.

I am only talking keels here by the way ;)

#14 Frickie

Frickie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAuckland NZ

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

True, me tackle is a bit bigger ("Wellington" keel) and the boat is heavy (Volvo 9hp ballast), but I don't have any issues with the ST compared to the pin head that was on there when I bought her.

Upwind, in moderate conditions I don't have any greater heel - so long as the leech is left open to get the twist required in the upper 1/3. Just need more outhaul and a bit less vang, and the sail really looks after itself. I would still reef at the same times once winds are over moderate.

What I do have is a small 'flattening reef' at 150mm (or 200?), that I use solo over about 15knts, that is well worth getting in any new main (IMHO).

Downwind is where you notice the extra sail area of the ST, great for those pesky no extras races! It is rare to have up too much sail going downwind in a R930!

Reaching is the area I am still working on, in the CC this year I couldn't keep the boat balanced from Hen & Chicks with the wind on the beam. Coming home I experimented with using a (bigger) A3 instead of the A5 and a reef in the main. That did seem to help.

So, I think a std keel and ST are a good option.... esp if the rig is designed for no strings at the back of the boat.

Boat boats boats...

#15 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

True, me tackle is a bit bigger ("Wellington" keel) and the boat is heavy (Volvo 9hp ballast), but I don't have any issues with the ST compared to the pin head that was on there when I bought her.

Upwind, in moderate conditions I don't have any greater heel - so long as the leech is left open to get the twist required in the upper 1/3. Just need more outhaul and a bit less vang, and the sail really looks after itself. I would still reef at the same times once winds are over moderate.

What I do have is a small 'flattening reef' at 150mm (or 200?), that I use solo over about 15knts, that is well worth getting in any new main (IMHO).

Downwind is where you notice the extra sail area of the ST, great for those pesky no extras races! It is rare to have up too much sail going downwind in a R930!

Reaching is the area I am still working on, in the CC this year I couldn't keep the boat balanced from Hen & Chicks with the wind on the beam. Coming home I experimented with using a (bigger) A3 instead of the A5 and a reef in the main. That did seem to help.

So, I think a std keel and ST are a good option.... esp if the rig is designed for no strings at the back of the boat.

Thanks!

The current main is quite an oversized, big roachy main which gives less helm and heel than the slightly more bagged out class main.

Thinking to go around the 45-50cm mark (So 10-12% of foot).

Will definitely get a flattening reef then 2 reefs for cat 3 and to bring the head down inside the runners (@MH for reef 1 and Hounds for reef 2) so to windward I can tack in the heavy stuff with both runners on if I have too.

Can always chuck the pinhead back on for the real heavy stuff if the need arises. 

Right track????

#16 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

What is the flattening reef?

Does it just lift the clew or is the foot not loose?

#17 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

http://barnaclebillh...ening-reef.html

#18 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

They do go and tack to windward surprisingly well in big winds and with very little sail. We have a grunty built headsail we call the No4, it's about 1/2 the area of stock self tacker, that can drag us to windward in 50+ knots with surprising ease. It's a sail I'd never leave home without.

I like the reefing plan, they do like a good reef. I only had one deepish reef we dropped in about 18-20kts when 1 or 2 up, she liked it. The new main has a flattening reef and a real 2nd reef that we can actually use, the old one had a 2nd reef that meet the rules but you couldn't use it, the sail would shred itself in minutes.

I'm confused, do you have a carbon stick?

great for those pesky no extras races!

I've seen them happen and even run many but just like 2% beer, diet ice cream and Aussie chicks with that horrendous appendage shrivelling accent, I just can't find it in myself to go there   :twisted:  ;)

#19 hounddog

hounddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

aluminium cathedral rig with a decent section ( not the class noodle rig) runners on deflectors, no back stay. Checks at about a metre or so. The rig is a bit of a beast really.

#20 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

http://barnaclebillh...ening-reef.html

So it just lifts the boom a little bit.

In days of old the flattening reef pulled out the shape in the bottom of the sail as it tightened the draft control seam... I haven't seen a DCS for many years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users