16 replies to this topic

#1 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Just reconstructing my companion way sliding hatch garage.

Looking to install a 50w Goflex solar panel direct stick to said hatch garage.

Solbian do a 47w panel with inbuilt charge controller that pretty well runs out at the same accumulated cost of the required bits and pieces as the Goflex.

Any opinions? 

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

Take the one with the best warranty...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Panels with inbuilt controller are ok. If you are not ever going to add any more panels. If you do, any new panels will not add extra as there controller see's that power is coming in to batt and will stop. You can only have 1 controller per system That's why your panels don't ADD while engine is running, unless said batt's are isolated from the engine charge system.

IE.. House batt.......start batt.

#4 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

If I was trying to maximise the available surface area can I mix panel sizes? Seems I should as they are connected in parallel
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#5 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Yes, you can use differently sized panels provided your controller can cope with the total array size. As chloe says above, controllers can be “confused “ by other charging sources (wind, alternator, genset, shore power) and may not provide the charging they are capable of while the other source is working. Some controllers are cleaverer than others though, and you can buy charge controllers with the ability to control multiple sources, but as usual, the good ones can be pricey.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#6 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

To get 3 different inputs going into my batteries at once was going to cost lots, add lots of complexity and weigh a few kilos. It surprised me how much. But I do have lithium so they add a lot of palava as well, put all 4 together and Na, not wiling to go that way. As it is I have huge fuses and some other serious looking sh*t due to the lithium.

So I can solar or mains/generator but not at the same time. Might be able to solar and outboard at the some time, just tuning that right now. The OB puts out a huge 80W so not like it anything serious.

And I'd say clear of panels with built in controllers for 2 reasons, one being exactly what Chloe said and with combo units like that if one bit craps out you lose all bits......maybe forever.

A good solar controller to take a few hundy W is cheap. Mine can handle 400W input, is tweakable to tune for assorted inputs and output for what battery type and for heat. Cost 280 I think it was.

#7 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

i went voltronic mppt and a 130w flexible last year , I am 100% happy right now

#8 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

I just bought three GoFlex, and while still expensive, they were still less than half the price of the equivalent in Solbian.

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

Where are buying them? We have aa solar up here but their reputation sucks and I don't think they do flexible.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#10 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

"don't think they do flexible. "

Right there. And don't change your mind....or they will charge you for it.

Life time warranty, yeah right,  get it in writing.....err in stone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users