51 replies to this topic

#21 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Oh, and didn't a boat in Wellington try this a year or two back. Smallish racer tried some horizontal foils?

There is one in Westhaven converting as I write. Going all DDS like.

I suspect it's owner has had some blunt farce trauma to his head at some stage :twisted: ;)

He's been heard uttering the same phase I have over the last year or 2 'What the hell made me think this was a good idea?'.

But he's made me feel better, I though I was a knut job for going so deep but he's gone even deeper.

#22 Guest_fng_*

Guest_fng_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

It used to be the kiwi way build a boat a bit more refined or as we thought better than what was out there.
Now we typically don't have the time space or money. So now it seems to be add or change a bit here or there. Simon and Peter Hull played with some of this way before anyone else would have dared.
There have been fads - twin foils (rudders) and canting keels, dss and the likes, which have patients and love to slap copyright claims. We helped with historic information once, to show that the Hull's had played with a foil type before one of the patients. There are some very good YouTube videos where designer's are explaining how there open 60 foils work, in which are arguments by some patient supporters trying to trip up or claim there own agenders within another designer's system.
So the point of all this is if you want to keep the old kiwi adage going, keep it on the down low and don't guess it's associated to someone eleses systems or designs

#23 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

How is the fng frackenboat coming? Splash date?

#24 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

It must have been exciting back in the 70's/80's with new boats hitting the water left, right and centre. I can remember seeing half a dozen homebuild Keelers in back yards around Whakatane when I was a kid. My old man built a Hartley 16 in the garage and a fella a few houses down the road built a Joker. What a different time that was!

#25 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

Disappointing a country that once rules the waves due to it's get out there, knock up a mates cunning design in the back shed and then take it all to the wet stuff then the world, mainly in the 30 - late 30ft range, now actively is working against that very thing happening in the future. That suppression of what NZ was world beaters at and was a large part of its sailing culture coincided with a sudden drop of new people coming into the sport, the death of NZ yacht builders, decreasing big races and decreasing fleets.

As much as I try I can't see the future improving. All I see is a growth in AWB's that sail non-extra divisions and a pile of older boats slowing disappearing to due to excessive costs and bullshit regulations.... and the lack of enough things to incentivise people to put some yards into improving them.

+110%

We have nurtured a "create as we don't have something for this" mindset over many generations

which exercised a  part off the kiwi brain to an extraordinary level.

Now several generations of paper pushers, anti-Darwinists, parasites have sentenced us to bring up

useless offspring that don't know that they if they trim their toe nails with a grinder they won't necessarily lose there toes.

Should be a fundamental human right to be able to build/plumb your own house, just tag it on the title. Caveart emptor. (Except wire) If ppl cant afford a builder, upskill and do it themselves.

(And I am a licensed builder.)

Um...wots an AWB?

#26 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Average white boat = mass produced import

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#27 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

useless offspring that don't know that they if they trim their toe nails with a grinder they won't necessarily lose there toes.

Um...wots an AWB?

Knot super sure about the grinder angle but then I have a poor history with power tools and appendages like fingers and toes...and got close to my appendix with a grinder once,  not a good day.

AWB - Average White Boat, production imports. All pretty average, all white and most are boats.......I do exclude that crime against all things maritime in Westhaven, I can paint a prettier picture with a case of explosive diarrhoea than the obvious P abuser that designed that visual vomit. Actually I think the bastards been breeding and their maybe 2 of them now.

#28 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

If it doesn't kill you, it WILL make you stronger.

#29 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

+110%

We have nurtured a "create as we don't have something for this" mindset over many generations

which exercised a  part off the kiwi brain to an extraordinary level.

Now several generations of paper pushers, anti-Darwinists, parasites have sentenced us to bring up

Should be a fundamental human right to be able to build/plumb your own house, just tag it on the title. Caveart emptor. (Except wire) If ppl cant afford a builder, upskill and do it themselves.

(And I am a licensed builder.)

Um...wots an AWB?

There's a part in the building code that lets you build your own house with help from your mates, so long as you don't pay anyone (apart from normal subbies like sparky and plumber), and so long as it's for your own residence - not to be rented afterward, and that you don't sell it within 5y. So if you're going to build anything unusual, it can be the way to go especially as many builders have trouble with anything that's not 4x2 framing on a concrete pad. Want something different? Better watch your builder like a hawk, or you'll turn around and hey presto you get the average "that's how I always do it" solution. Just my experience of trying to get stuff done on my place.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#30 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

There's a part in the building code that lets you build your own house with help from your mates, so long as you don't pay anyone (apart from normal subbies like sparky and plumber), and so long as it's for your own residence - not to be rented afterward, and that you don't sell it within 5y. So if you're going to build anything unusual, it can be the way to go especially as many builders have trouble with anything that's not 4x2 framing on a concrete pad. Want something different? Better watch your builder like a hawk, or you'll turn around and hey presto you get the average "that's how I always do it" solution. Just my experience of trying to get stuff done on my place.

Twenty years ago, not a problem, but restricted building now, asfaik, requires an lbp on site, otherwise the inspector won't sign it off and you won't get your CCC. (Code compliance cert)
Unless you have a mate that is LBP.

On selling you may have a
Negotiating negative on that.
I used to design and build as I have an engineering background, but keeping up three licenses was too tedious so dropped design. So now can't lodge a consent app.
Can still lodge under a mates monica architech but it's a pia.
I don't care anymore,they have hamstrung the industry with bullshit requirements they can have it.
The latest BS was having to count insect/critters in a square meter and explain what effect removing a tree would have on life force of the forest for RC. fubar!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users