Here is the boat for the 2021 Cup . .

Staggers me when I read the "It'll never fly, Orville" comments.

The guys designing this designed the world beating America's Cup winning boat

....... but of course yous fullas know better

Carry on

• Upvote 2

Um how many canting keels have fallen off - lots

So what - that's irrelevent for a day racer that is thoroughly inspected at the end of every day on a budget with a few extra zeros tagged on to the end

also canting keels don't cant 200 odd degrees 

not relavent - but actually neither do these - I'd say these boards cant through no more than about 90deg.

and there are two of these flappy things

again not relevant from either an engineering or naval architecture pov

heavy things don't fly, they sink!

I reckon there will be no ballast other than what they write as a min. into the rules.  Remember the rumour that TNZ had the heaviest boards due to their construction but paid they off against foil plan form

THINK about the loads on everything!! - I mean cats load up heaps and we're not trying to lug around tons of ballast

I have - even drawn a few free-body diagrams - don't see any issues.  Infact the single hull makes it feasible to carry the mainsheet loads if they go to a membrane main.  Stil reckon they'll want wings though - they'll foil much sooner

how do you power the cant movement of the flappy things - engine, fuel, batteries?

I thought I answered that in my first post

Look hats off to them if it works. I just can't see it !!

Wanna put a wager on it?

and it is against every reason for dumping the ac50's 

All except one.  They signed an agreement with the CoR to go back to a mono.  In return they got all of Prada's IP on the multi (which I understand was right up there) plus a whole heap of coin to survive , just , just long enough to get across the last finish line.  If that hadn't happenned, TNZ would have actually struggled to get to Bermuda and this conversation would not be taking place.

I reckon they've had to go to 75ft to make this concept work, any shorter and it would struggle - any longer and the budget would have been inter-galactic beams rather than just moon beams!

Scottie is a wise man that makes good points. As are the very smart people that came up with the concept. Im sure they will make it work. I just dont think it is the answer to many of the issues people (etnz?) raised.

-sail handling?

-close racing?

-more relatable to average sailor?

how do you power the cant movement of the flappy things - engine, fuel, batteries?

There was an interview with Grant D on the news the other day - he said they would not be having "internal combustion engines" to power foil movement. Being so specific about a comment made around powering hydraulics to move the foils, and pedestal grinders only, I'd assume an electric motor & batteries.