12 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

After some serious measuring and stress out came the drills and holesaws.

Vesconite barings in and the material friendly glue (la de do da Loctite) now going off.

Laser says it's all good, other tools and instruments says it's all good but head very much still in a 'Ahhhgggggg...sh*t .. sh*t .. sh*t .. I hope I haven't cocked that up' space....again.

In the measuring I do believe I have found the knuckle on the bow is 22mm off to Starboard. Mental note to self: to only enter Around the World Races that have the boats mainly on Stb tack :)

#12 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Whatever happened to using Bronze bolts for keel bolts, rudder pintles, chain plates etc. etc. strong as steel or stronger, no crevice corrosion issues, bullet proof compared to 304 / 316 / 2205 etc.

#13 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

Sorry, I am late to the party.
Vesconite High Lube is what you need and is likely what has been supplied, because Highlube is normally used in marine apps, so I assume that is what Chatfields would be supplying. Most Bearing suppliers also stock it, so I would expect the Bearing suppliers down the end of the street should stock it KM. It's been around for a very long time.
It is a Thermopolymer plastic and is darn near a Miracle material. Very slippery on metals, with a Friction coefficient of just 0.1.
It is commonly used in Pumps as water tight bushes, because it can be run dry for a short period. It does not swell, thus can be machined to a tight tolerance and not lock up. It is happy in Salt water, which many plastics struggle with due to the many particles and minerals in Salt water. In fact it is happy in dirty water, which many other materials simply wear out in. It is also resistant to organic solvents, petrol, oils, Chemicals and acids and can handle Fluid temperatures of 100deg continuous.
It is also commonly used for stuffing box applications.
I find it wonderful to machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users