#1 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

We started discussing about building and materials in another posting,  I thought it would be good to have a specific post if people are interested in sharing their experiences.

Firstly, courtesy of Dr Watson's advice it is still legally possible to owner build a house in NZ

https://www.building...er-obligations/

I had  a house built in Australia 25 yrs ago, generally went very well and at the end of the job I took the architects and builder out for a good lunch is a good sign. I recommended the builder to several mates and they were all equally happy with their jobs.

A few thoughts to start the ball rolling, no matter which way you decide to build

1. Similar to my job (Project Managing large mining projects) the key to a successful build is planning and preparation. The time to make decions and changes is on the paper, not during the build as so often happens (there are a few boats around that had the same problem)

2. Geotechnical investigations can be very important, if I build on my current site I will be building on sloping ground with wáter retaining clay in an área where they refer to the fault as "Onerahi Chaos". There are áreas in nearby Algies Bay where you just cannot build because of ground conditions

3. If you are building out of the big city, generally best to stick with the local guys - they will have all the contacts and sub trades on hand. Also they should be aware of any local problems such as I mentioned in 2.

4. If you go with a big/franchised builder get a lawyer to review the contract before signing, the agreements are typically very one sided and can even limit your ability to access the site during the build. 

5. If you do not know the building game it can be worthwhile hiring an independent inspector to make sure the builder is complying with spec and codes. Do not rely on the council building inspectors - many of the AC inspectors appear to come from somewhere-stan and would not know how to build a tree house.

6. Check out the builder's financial condition, plenty have gone bust during builds. In Western Australia builders indemnity insurance is compulsory so if the builder goes bust there is coverage to finish the job and also if there are any major defects. Would be interested to know if there is something similar in NZ

7. Make sure the sums for progress claims are a fair measure and don't let the builder load the payments to get most of the money before the house is well advanced. At the same time when the milestone is reached pay him immediately - he has bills to pay as well

8. There should be some form of retention or bond to cover defects liability - 5% for 1 year is the typical value.

9. Be wary of architects,  build estimates, if you want something more than an estimate from a m2 rate you should go to a quantity surveyor

Interested to hear whatever advice/experiences people can offer for a successful build be it designs, materials, builders whatever

This Project was quite interesting to follow

http://www.ourdreamhome.co.nz/

even if it was a bit "reality TV"

#2 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Our builder is starting our new house at Whitianga in March. Because of the location we have gone for as much concrete as we can with structural steel holding the walls up. Salt, wind, flood, tsunami resistant we hope. It's not big, only 2 bedrooms and one bathroom but a mixture of living areas. it was limited by the section size, desire to keep costs down as much as possible and how much house we want to clean when we are old. It is our forever home.

Our architects absolutely nailed what we wanted after looking at the section. We have our consent all ready to go, some $66000 later...

Our builder team of 4, mainly from Auckland will live onsite or nearby and work 4 days. They only build one hose at a time. It should take about 6 months.

Here is a animation from the sketch model I created. I also made models from core-flute to model the sun movement and neighbour sight lines. It's been fun

https://youtu.be/rfZZ4d5h7dU

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#3 Frickie

Frickie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAuckland NZ

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

awesome animation!

Boat boats boats...

#4 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Nice house SD. Just curious what your big expenses were for the consent? Did that include the architects fees?

No wonder houses are so expensive to build here.

My plan is a demolish and rebuild, hopefully want to permit it as a renovation

#5 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

We demolished and rebuilt, the garage floor is all that remains of the old house.

Doing a "rebuild" can also be important for other planning issues.

The old house had two complete kitchens which isn't allowed now in Tauranga.

With a "rebuild" it was and thus we can rent out the bottom floor as a flat.

#6 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

There are some weird rules re building now. This link will help.
https://www.building...er-obligations/

#7 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Nice house SD. Just curious what your big expenses were for the consent? Did that include the architects fees?

Architect concept $8000
Drawings and specifications $32500
Surveyor because we are on the limit of coverage/daylighting $2500
Engineering $13000
Council consent fee $5000
Council inspections prepaid $5000

Design fees are normally around 10% on a bespoke build so that’s about right.

The environment has dictated some cost SS fixings, commercial grade joinery, coloursteel max roof. But some things by choice, the masonry, stack bonding, honing, polished floors.

On the other hand it should last forever and we don’t want to be old wondering how we are going to replace the Weetbix floor in the bathroom etc plus it should be economical to heat.

#8 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

awesome animation!

Thanks, I started knowing nothing about SketchUp and have spent many hundreds of hours on it. All our furniture and fittings have been modeled in the correct textures. Even our art collection is correct which in parts has influenced the design and in other parts the house has influenced the art.

As MH says, it’s important to work it all out in advance of starting, by the time the build starts we will have almost 2 years of digital and 3D modelling scrutiny.

#9 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

After 50 years building , save the grey hairs and buy one ,the crap we have to go through daily The out of control costs , and the unreliable people you have to deal with It’s not worth it. ,

#10 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Some of those costs seem really high considering it is all done in software. Does it really take that long or do they have a huge charge out rate?

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users