39 replies to this topic

#1 AlastairW

AlastairW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Time to bite the bullet.............    Need to get a new suit of good cruising sails, and, there seems so much glossy marketing doodah about when you go searching on the interweb, that I kind of get put off. So, any suggestions as to who to approach for quotes, and, equally, who to avoid? Quality is at least as important as price - I want something that will take a bit of hard use.

#2 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

There is usually more benefit in using a local loft that can give good service than trying to pick between the brand names, although is there a loft in Dunedin anymore?

if realibility over price really is a driver then north 3Di is about the most bullit proof option out there, there is a reason the majority of the round the world racing fleet use a varient of it, but be prepared for some sticker shock

#3 SanFran

SanFran

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Very good question. Thinking along the same lines. Have looked locally, and seen some prices, then looked off shore and seen a little over half price, delivered, Inc tax. Love to buy local but the 'ole buck' talks.

#4 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

Norths 3di are stunning kit, was hoping they would make a difference to the sailing for the price but it's hard to describe just how good they are.

They are expensive, but it would be hard to go back to something else once you've had them.

When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

#5 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Recently got a new main for a TS from Fareast Sails. Very happy with it. Worked out about $900 at my door v's $2.5k quote from a local loft. They have a good system for helping you get the correct measurements.

If you want to buy local then I think Norths is worth checking out. A friend got a new main for the same boat at the same time and the price was very sharp and no question about quality.

What sort of yacht are they going on? There is a loft in Auckland with quite a few new sails (cancelled orders) for common boats going very cheap

#6 SanFran

SanFran

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

There is a loft in Auckland with quite a few new sails (cancelled orders) for common boats going very cheap

Who is that. Very interested.

#7 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

had my Hyde main and no2 now for 6 months with a fare bit of use,no issues set nicely,another club boat has new hyde main and it looks stretched and out of shape already.depends on cloth i guess
The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#8 Chewing Gum

Chewing Gum

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Rick Royden does a good job at a reasonable price.

We have been using him for the last 15 years and have never had a problem with any of his sails 

PK

#9 SanFran

SanFran

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Rick Roy den has closed up shop. Gone sailing I believe

#10 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

North's new 3di Nordac is worth a look at for a cruising or club racing boat.very reasonably priced, durable and great performance.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users