#11 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Who is that. Very interested.

I believe it's Windward sails. I was recommended them by a couple of people so should be ok.

https://touch.tradem...istings/4604319

#12 AlastairW

AlastairW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

Thanks folks

Appreciate the help so far, and still have an open if cynical mind......

#13 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,178 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

I just bought a Nordac main from Norths. Pretty happy. Looked at sail rite etc, but the difference in cost was small for the same spec cloth etc. When local support considered it wasn't worth it.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

A few years back racing on a 42fter that does OK and boss ordered a new headsail. Sail duly arrived and the morning before a big regatta we pulled it up. A fecking horror show, with the draft way way back, reinforced leach but bugger all on the luff. Boss spat dummy and rang loft using lots of harsh tones and naughty words. Being a bit of a man around the waterfront a loft dude arrived very fast. After sussing loft dude proclaimed it was a rig set up issue and a few other things but the sail was perfect. He spoke to the assembled team as if we were no idea newbies but he didn't realise he was talking to a pile of NZ Reps who had won things like the Kenwood Cup and a few world champs.

The boat team took all of 1 minute to realise, this was pre the loft being called, someone had put the hanks on what was supposed to be the leach, a simple very obvious f*ck up an apprentice should notice on their 1st day or work. The loft dude apart from not realising who he was trying to con also seemed not to see the bloody obvious or if he did he was spinning it otherwise.

End result was the boss said it's sh*t take it back and fix it. Loft dude said Nope it was fine. Boss said no worries, I have yet to pay you so no skin off my nose and instructed us to 'dump the piece of crap on the dock, lets go yachting'. Loft dude grumbled about wankers and left with the sail.

The boss went to the opposition loft, told them what happened and got a glamour of a sail at a better price.

The Mr grumpy loft dude worked for a very big name loft.

Morel of the story? Buy the the hands who will make the sail, don't buy the brand.

#15 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

Has anyone used Zoom Sails?

http://www.zoomsails...who-we-are.html

#16 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ/Belo Horizonte Brasil

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

I believe it's Windward sails. I was recommended them by a couple of people so should be ok.

https://touch.tradem...istings/4604319

That would be "No hurry Murray". I doubt if any of the sails in the ads exist except for the one photo.

Murray makes great sails, eventually! It took me about 18 mths to get my new main in spite of (or maybe only because of) persistent harassment.

There was a thread sometime ago on Windward/Murray

#17 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNgaruawahia

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

Names would be a help KM. Over the years stories abound and when added up its usually the same sailmaker . I got a main built by Lidgards for a one design. It wouldn't measure and they dicked me around something bad. Same sort of crap KM experienced. Never got another order from me and I influenced other s not to buy from them. Having said that its a good idea to pay extra and buy local. Deal with the person making the sail if you can. And  order quality sailcloth; contender,dimension etc. Cheaper knock off cloth will cost you downstream

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#18 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

That would be "No hurry Murray". I doubt if any of the sails in the ads exist except for the one photo.
Murray makes great sails, eventually! It took me about 18 mths to get my new main in spite of (or maybe only because of) persistent harassment.
There was a thread sometime ago on Windward/Murray

That will be him. I was told good sails at a good price but be prepared to wait 6 months +.

Maybe you are right about the sails not existing but could be worth checking out if you have one of the models listed. If he is that slow then it is quite likely he has plenty of sails because the customer has sold boat, gone elsewhere or passed away by the time they are ready

#19 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Names would be a help KM.

I don't think in this case so as the loft does generally do very good work and while there are a few stories that's to be expected due to their size. Same with your Lidgard comment, was your issue with the previous management or current, like many places management changes and often so does most things with it, including quality and design.

What I see a lot is people buying the brand and while it maybe nice to say 'I have Dickydodangle' that means squat if the product is a piece of crap. With sail making, along with many things life wide, a fancy sticker by the clew may only being putting lipstick on a pig.

There are products in my corner of the game that play purely on the brand and charge a lot because of it but you can buy many products for the exact same application that work better, are cheaper and have lots more goodness all around, they just don't have what is effectively a mega dollar sticker on the side.

I buy the experiance of the hands making my sails, I don't give a rats arse what the sticker by the clew says. It could say 'Total sh*t' or 'Best in the world' but the hands that sewed it together will have a far huger input into the performance.

#20 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

I like Norths, good sails, well finished and I've always had great service but they are not really the right loft to do minor repairs, better to get the "Ive got a big table in my garage" sailmakers to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users