39 replies to this topic

#21 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm interested in some more comments around the north's 3Di products, specifically around shape retention, durability and expect life of the sail (especially shape retention over the life of the sail).

Looking at a new main for a 37 ft cruiser / club racer.

To replace a like for like cross cut dacron from a local loft (whom I've used before) is circa $3,500

A tri-radial laminate from the same local loft is circa $5k

A 3Di Nordac circa $8k, or a 3Di race circa $13k - made in Sri Lanka

To compare with the local loft cross cut dacron, a Norths cross cut dacron is $6k

Based on the cost difference of the cross cut dacron, it would appear the label in the front corner of the sail is worth a lot. However I understand the 3Di products are good sails. I'm trying to quantify how good, as there is a substantial price difference.

For that price difference, I almost be expecting a sail that can pour cold drinks and put the kids to bed... but maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

#22 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

Ive found Norths to be very competitive on price if you are comparing similar sails, no big loft can compete with one man bands or internet lofts, but its horses for courses. If you're a cruiser then unless you're performance oriented you can hang any old bag of sh*t up there and it really wont matter :) as long as it lasts

#23 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

I wouldn't have described my 'local loft' as a one man band. I got pricing from two different outfits I've both used before, both recognized names with a long history and good track record, but make the sails locally and don't have that 'global' footprint as such.

It may just be the specification of sail I'm looking at and I'm not in the market sector of the big brands. 

I am keen to quantify the benefit in sail shape and life for the additional cost though. I understand the concept of paying for quality, I just want to understand the 'quality' side of the ledger.

#24 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

I understand the concept of paying for quality,

In todays world that's become a flawed statement quite likely to get you less for more, not everywhere but in enough that it's probably time it was retired.

#25 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

I will be in the market for a jib before we head north next year. IMHO it is too narrow and is used over too large a range (5kn to 35kn) for X cut dacron, but longevity is very important, so what's the best lasting laminate, with a reasonable price?

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#26 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

North's Nordac got a big thrashing on that Sunfast and held up really well

#27 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

In todays world that's become a flawed statement quite likely to get you less for more, not everywhere but in enough that it's probably time it was retired.

Its still true and will always be true, yes there are bargains and rip offs, but over time no business can defy gravity and if they get squeezed too hard they go bust.

#28 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

I wouldn't have described my 'local loft' as a one man band. I got pricing from two different outfits I've both used before, both recognized names with a long history and good track record, but make the sails locally and don't have that 'global' footprint as such.

It may just be the specification of sail I'm looking at and I'm not in the market sector of the big brands. 

I am keen to quantify the benefit in sail shape and life for the additional cost though. I understand the concept of paying for quality, I just want to understand the 'quality' side of the ledger.

As far as I can tell, most of the cloth comes from a couple of manufacturers and costs about the same, but the cut and finish can be worlds apart. Rolly Taskers cruising sails would probably be just fine but done expect any service at all.

#29 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNgaruawahia

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Point taken KM .However there are / were sailmakers and salemakers. Yes .....Lidgard experience would have been old management.

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#30 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

They have a good system for helping you get the correct measurements.

Most important. A guy at Great Barrier had his new furling jib delivered recently, exactly to his dimensions. Sadly not including space for the roller-furler. By the time he gets it re-cut by a local it's going to look awful and cost more than the local product.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users