Photo

Anyone in Waikawa who could help me boost my confidence?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gert

gert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi everyone!

A little while ago, I bought my first sailboat, a beautiful 1986 Sadler 32 called “Honey”, currently in Waikawa. I have only sailed her once, because she’s out of the water right now for repairs, and I’m replacing the rigging as well. But if everything goes according to plan, she’ll be back in the water before Christmas!

I’ve been sailing on friends’ boats for a few years, and I’ve done some sailing courses (including a "cruising skippers" course), so I’m not a complete novice, but I still have a lot to learn, especially because I’ll be sailing singlehanded most of the time.

Honey is really well set up for singlehanded sailing, but there are things that are tricky when I’m by myself: I don’t really know how to pick up a mooring ball alone, or how to drop or raise the anchor on my own. And getting my boat in and out of her berth is still pretty scary!

I think I would really benefit from spending a day on the water with someone experienced, who could talk me through practicing the things I mentioned. But I live in Wellington (I want to sail Honey across and keep her in Wellington) and I don’t know anyone in Waikawa.

If you're a salty sailor close to Waikawa who would be happy to show a passionate first-boat-owner how to feel confident on his boat, get in touch!

Cheers,
Gert

Edited by gert, 01 December 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#2 kiwipilgrimnz

kiwipilgrimnz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:01 AM

Hi..keen to help...If you like to PM me I'll give you my details :)

#3 gert

gert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

Awesome, thank you! I'll be in touch!

#4 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Good to see you looking for some assistance Gert, that is what the smart people do.

Maybe drop a note or ring the Waikawa Yacht Club and see if they have a stray crusty old salt lying around, many clubs do. Those crusty older salts may not move as fast as they once did but they do contain a lot of very good knowledge and old school knowledge, a lot of which is still the best stuff. Many can be lured away from their roses or bowling club for a day or 2 by the promise of a nice sail and cool beer.

#5 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Good to see you looking for some assistance Gert, that is what the smart people do.

Maybe drop a note or ring the Waikawa Yacht Club and see if they have a stray crusty old salt lying around, many clubs do. Those crusty older salts may not move as fast as they once did but they do contain a lot of very good knowledge and old school knowledge, a lot of which is still the best stuff. Many can be lured away from their roses or bowling club for a day or 2 by the promise of a nice sail and cool beer.

Blardy good advice! From my own experience there is so much knowledge and support out there from guys who are only too happy to help.

#6 gert

gert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, that sounds good. I've sent an email to the Waikawa boating club, and I'll stop by to see if anyone's around next time I'm over there. And I'm grateful for kiwipilgrimnz's offer as well!

#7 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

He is probably lucky you and I dont live in WAikawa
The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

He is probably lucky you and I dont live in WAikawa

:D  Yes and No. I'd happily help Gert with his learning........but I'd also happily hammer his fridge.

#9 gert

gert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

Haha! Sounds good to me, I like a cold beer or two myself as well.

#10 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Good luck. Just do it. Practice in calm conditions by yourself till you build up confidence. Always have a plan B in mind, eg always prepared to drop the anchor if the engine fails. Do things exactly the same in exactly the same way - it creates a good habit. Habit will save you when you're tired and the sh*t hits the fan. You will then by on autopilot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users