19 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

Some Emirates team members have been nominated. That makes DA's comment about 'maybe something going on' all the more interesting.

Richie won it? No idea but as he is on telly a lot one would expect he has.

I've been asking everyone today and most has said no way Emirates could have won with PB only on the boat and they could have won with someone other than PB driving. That would suggest he's not a lynch pin but the 'team' is, which them leads to Emirates decision being the right one, the 'whole sailing team' or no one.

#12 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have no problem with the proposition that Burling is one of the greatest sailors NZ has ever produced. But I believed that long before Bermuda. His record in the 49er (even before the Olympics) and the Moth by themselves are more than adequate testimony for me. But as far as the AC is concerned, consider...

Who was driving the boat when this happened: http://bit.ly/2npdWIJ

Who was responsible for the campaign not ending right then and there, before they even got to sail a single race in the final.

That's not intended as a knock on Burling at all - I really am a big big fan. But the level of dependence in the AC - this one especially - on the entire team performance is of such magnitude that in this case I think it would be a genuine travesty to single him out.

And when I read the nonsense that Abercrombie is spouting - that Burling should be nominated because the exposure would be good for the sport of sailing, frankly it makes me a little embarrassed and angry... He's really just treating Burling as a marketing pawn, devaluing the awards themselves in the process, and making the sport look like a bunch of...

#13 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:21 AM

And I would add to that "could they have won if he wasn't" - and I think probably yes. No disrespect to Burling at all, but Ashby is one of the greatest multihull helmsmen in the world, not to mention the actual skipper, and a key driver of the whole program.

Basically what I have been saying,anyone could of steered but ashby was calling  the shots and saying where to go was the key,cannot steer and call the shots at the same time,so in my mind I would put Ashby ahead of Burling

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#14 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:22 AM

Some Emirates team members have been nominated. That makes DA's comment about 'maybe something going on' all the more interesting.

Richie won it? No idea but as he is on telly a lot one would expect he has.

I've been asking everyone today and most has said no way Emirates could have won with PB only on the boat and they could have won with someone other than PB driving. That would suggest he's not a lynch pin but the 'team' is, which them leads to Emirates decision being the right one, the 'whole sailing team' or no one.

Well I guess that settles it then, no need for PB when any trained monkey could do the job and with the expertise in lunchrooms across NZ why bother with awards at all?

Seriously DA has nominated the helmsman who not only has won multiple world titles but snagged the AC (youngest ever) What a bunch of negative conspiracy theorists who exemplify the worst of NZ's tall poppy syndrome.

#15 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:05 AM

" Motorbike"

I personally have no time for the award system, All blacks Americas cup Netball etc its basically a business,they are not competing for free now days.

The awards that can I identify with most is community sports awards, The Mums/Dads coaches referees etc that put so much time in to community sports they are not recognized by any gold/silver metal,no bragging rights on TV,but just quietly go about their day to day business. These  people are the true sportsman/woman.

We place so Emphases on what the ABs/AC do to show piece NZ and creating tourists etc What big brand sponsor has got their name in highlights, totally forgetting about the small businesses that buy the uniform support the local teams,gets no funding no recognition and abused by parents/spectators etc (The refs etc)and they are back there again next week doing it all over again.  Not whinging about how the rules changed in the other teams favour or Northern hemisphere ref robbed us.

#16 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

All true, but someone has to win it!  As a comment on our silly sporting culture, thats another story but not for this thread. Give the young guy the nomination, he deserves it in my view and all the coaches and his parents and people in his sphere will also feel recognised for their support and work in helping foster a great NZ talent

#17 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

I have the answer sportsman/woman of the year,give it to a "Special Olympian" it will encourage others to participate. 

Just been held in Wellington.

#18 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Well I guess that settles it then, no need for PB when any trained monkey could do the job and with the expertise in lunchrooms across NZ why bother with awards at all?

Seriously DA has nominated the helmsman who not only has won multiple world titles but snagged the AC (youngest ever) What a bunch of negative conspiracy theorists who exemplify the worst of NZ's tall poppy syndrome.

You are now equating sports people to Monkeys????

The last person I saw do that was the head retard of the KKK.

#19 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Perhaps we need one of the little face thingies for sarcasm
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#20 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators