27 replies to this topic

#1 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:28 PM

How do I get wifi on the boat without having the phone to connect to , for I pad etc

#2 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

We did some work on a boat recently and it had a cellph network spot/hub/whatever it's called on board. Worked just like a normal cell tower except they could control access to it.  Was surprisingly compact but I doubt it was cheap. The dude was deep into big international business so wanted 24/7/366 comms.

I'd guess if no phone them maybe something off satellites like a Iridium Go.

#3 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

Are you talking inshore/coastal or in the middle of the pacific?

#4 OYSTR

OYSTR

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

Used a couple of these last week for an offsite meeting of 10 people (wanted to ensure secure wifi). Takes a data SIM card and supplies 4G speed. Powered by any 5V USB charger. Plan on taking one out on the boat over the holidays.

https://www.pbtech.c...e-Wi-Fi-Share-4

time wounds all heels

#5 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

Wifi on the marina , in coastal bays etc

#6 Chloe

Chloe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

How do I get wifi on the boat without having the phone to connect to , for I pad etc

I have a dongle that is linked to my phone data, plug into laptop all go don't know if that helps. Am using it now to send this message.

#7 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

There are several options, dependent on use. If you want to connect to the marina wifi, for example, or any other wiifi access point, then I'd recommend a Bullet long range antenna  _ fromn about $350

These are a bridge/router/station (optional in config) that will allow connection to a wifi signal from a long way away, and that connection can be used by multiple devices on board with the addition of a standard wifi access point. Common is the boat wifi from a Gofree wifi unit (about $350), connected to a bullet. This is what I have myself, so I can connect from the boat to my house.

Next is the cellular wifi router, which is whats mentioned above. Readily available, cheap (from $50) uses a sim card to connect via cellular to the internet, and share that connection with multiple wifi devices onboard. This one has more range than the previous one, but you pay cellular rates for data, and of course it only works when you have cellular coverage. The wifi hotspot function on your smartphone does the same thing, but some (more expensive) routers have better reception and speed, mostly due to larger antennas.

Then  there are the satellite options - out of most average sailors budgets, if anyone wants to talk about that, give me a call :-) 0221539176

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#8 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

If you do this often and dont want to pay mobile data rates then this is a good option:

https://www.ultimate...i-wireless.html

I've put an antenna up my mast to help with patchy coverage - Good pricing and good speeds but a monthly fee so not for everyone

#9 robinm

robinm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

A fellow boatie who is a live aboard at Chaffers has an ISP just for this, you can even take the router home to use there. http://discover.net.nz I use it and it works really well.

#10 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Both those systems are just cellular routers, using the Govt's RBI plan. They do work fine, IF you have reasonable cellular coverage.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users