Tote tank above 25hp outboard

Hey all,

We're coming up on the end of our refit and we've been looking at placed for our 25hp Yamahas 50l tote tank to sit full time, The PO added a built-in tank that's now out of action so we're back to tote's. It has been sitting outside of the engine enclosure all this time however it looks like there is a position built into the engine enclosure for a tote to sit.

I've been going between ok and not ok with the idea of putting the tank back in as it sits above the engine and I was concerned venting fumes from the tank may get sucked up in the intake of the outboard as they sink to the water, Add to that the issue of the tank splitting/spilling when underway and having fuel raining down on a hot engine and I am not sure about it.

So pictures attached, would anyone here be concerned with placing the tank strapped down to the wooden rails in the picture? After a little sanity check :) It would be damm handy to have the tank stored away

uldHGCk.png3Ny7gqy.png

Would I be concerned having the tank under floor on top of motor?YES from me simply the tank will leak fumes out the breather screw and where would the vapor disperse too?  In the event of hose coupling disconnect itself from tank where would fuel drain too . 

Tank above motor is common practice on GBEs, 8.5 cats Turissimos etc and probably most cats with an outboard pod setup, the VB has this same system but the tank sits just in front of the engine underneath the saloon floor. Any fuel spillage runs down the pod and out just below the bottom of the transom clamps.

The only issue I know of any potential disaster was on my first GBE - just after I got it. The previous owner had shoehorned the battery in the pod underneath the fuel tank (metal not plastic) and we had a small incident where the battery internally shorted out and exploded while motoring out of westhaven. My first thought when I was looking at a smoking smouldering engine pod was "well at least we won't have to swim very far!".  That system was changed pretty quickly, battery into the hull and the metal tank swapped out for a plastic one.