Is it worth to the VHF radio have DSC function. Anyone use it?

I'm about to buy a new VHF, not because anything wrong with the old one, I just want to relocate it and all newer model on the market lot smaller which is crucial on a small boat.

I was looking to get one with DSC function (set up for sending and receiving signal etc). Is it worth it to spend time on this? I know Maritime NZ not monitoring digital transmissions but anyone else does? It seems to be a good idea.

I agree about the noise, but I don't agree about the tech dying. They are completely different. Cellphone is point to point, VHF is point to multi point. Cellphone means you can't call the boats closest to you.

DSC actually helps the noise issue - if you turn the volume down, and adjust the squelch so you don't hear the traffic, the DSC call to you, or broadcast, is still well audible in an emergency. Great feature.

Have a vhf purely for weather report,cannot be bothered listening to B/S but must admit when I have the boy onboard do tend to lodge a t/r with c/g for the just in case,but if another vessel in close proximity is trouble they better let a flare off if they want my attention.

About 2 /3 months ago a mayday call was heard and I pity the poor bugger trying to find them,the caller had no idea where they were,had to describe various landmarks,about 20 minutes later figured they were out the back of the noisies,so in that case a flare would of been more use.

Yeah...stopped listening to VHF. B/S traffic is intolerable. No wonder there's more trouble on the water when some of the clowns actually believe that the mindless chatter is making them 'safe'. In fog in the Colville Channel and through the gaps spot a large ship at right angles to us on a converging course,at speed, heading for Akld. Called and called on VHF Ch.16 to ascertain they had us but no response. Eventually went head to wind and waited. Had MSC on the side of it. Guess they were on auto and not concerned with a mere yacht.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I think I'll go for the DSC version. Would be great if more people got it (obviously with knowledge to set up) and more and more people made some effort to get vhf operator licence along with call sign and mmsi number as it is a must have to set up the DSC capable vhf radio properly and take all advantage of it. Without those things is just worthless I agree with that. Of course this will not replace epirb (which also should be registered and kept up to date).

Have a vhf purely for weather report,cannot be bothered listening to B/S but must admit when I have the boy onboard do tend to lodge a t/r with c/g for the just in case,but if another vessel in close proximity is trouble they better let a flare off if they want my attention.

About 2 /3 months ago a mayday call was heard and I pity the poor bugger trying to find them,the caller had no idea where they were,had to describe various landmarks,about 20 minutes later figured they were out the back of the noisies,so in that case a flare would of been more use.

DSC solves that as well because most modern sets broadcast lat & long position as part of the distress message so the whole world can see where they are. Saves the whole "Where are you?" thing.

Given Maritime NZ boasts about having one of the largest SAR regions in the world to look after I can't understand why NZ is dragging its heels to adopt marine safety technology that has been mainstream for over a decade elsewhere in the world. I know VHF is short-range and doesn't help with the large SAR region (much) but it's the message it sends to everyone i.e. "Sorry - no DSC - we're still in the dark ages".

DSC solves that as well because most modern sets broadcast lat & long position as part of the distress message so the whole world can see where they are. Saves the whole "Where are you?" thing.

Given Maritime NZ boasts about having one of the largest SAR regions in the world to look after I can't understand why NZ is dragging its heels to adopt marine safety technology that has been mainstream for over a decade elsewhere in the world. I know VHF is short-range and doesn't help with the large SAR region (much) but it's the message it sends to everyone i.e. "Sorry - no DSC - we're still in the dark ages".

Ahh, but that's what we have volatile explosives on board for...

Just yesterday I was checking my flares.

Had to carefully read the small print to work out which end to hold and which end shoots explosive charges off.

Wasn't exactly obvious which ones were orange smoke, red hand helds or the ones better suited to taking down light aircraft.

All the price tags were in-tacked, f*ck they are expensive.

Then I checked the expiry dates, now I'm in a bad mood...

Not sure if I should keep my flares in the gas locker, but I really don't want my young kids finding them and permanently scaring themselves or worse.

It is absolutely beyond me why we are required to carry volatile explosives onboard. Never seen one used in anger. Never heard of one used in anger in NZ in the last 10 years. Between VHF with or without DSC, PLB's and now AIS distress beacons I would have though thought the explosives were redundant.

That screams "I have no idea what safety gear I have but that's not a worry as I don't take even 2 or 3 minutes to find out how my safety gear operates anyway"

The only aircraft you'd ever be able to take down will be piloted by someone who shares your same slack attitude to safety matters ;)

History has very clearly removed without a shadow of a doubt your, mine and everyone elses kids have more to fear from your gas bottle than your flares.

Haha KM, your own post proves you are wrong, and can't read.

The very fact that I took the time yesterday to inspect my safety gear, check its expire dates, re-familiarise myself with the one orange smoke, three red hand helds and the two red rockets I have, and how to operate them proves you are wrong.

I also know (off by heart) the expire date of the battery of my PLB, and have last month checked and serviced all of the inflatable life jackets on board.

But I would have thought you'd have worked that out for yourself, when I stated in my post "just yesterday was checking my flares"... its the second line from the top.