Boiling Batteries

Fish

For FLA's only KM, Lithium not a problem and for that matter, anything truly sealed. Simply because the gas escaping, especially if the battery is being Equalise charged, will also carry a small amount of corrosive droplets and that will cause damage to Electronics etc.

Question. Every time I start the engine I can smell something sulpherous. Could it be the starter battery?

Where do you keep your socks?  

Could it be rotting salt water in the inlet line? Just guessing other things than boiling batts.

Most likely sea water in the exhaust, goes a bit pongey when left for a bit. If its smells proper rotten eggs hydrogen sulphide, I'd say its that. You get some sulphates and sulphites in sea water that can get converted to sulphides, which give you the classic rotten egg smell.

Yep, I get the same smell all the time. Err, not me, I mean the smell comes from the engine exhaust. Also from the Saltwater rinse tap and the Toilets when flushed the first time for a while.

or underpants - don t wear any!

Thinking little fluffy ducks, little fluffy ducks, little fluffy ducks

right t ho. We have established that my house battery is stuffed.Over the last week or so have had it on the trickle charger 2amp apparently,Tuesday night it read 14.25 volt,Wednesday morning it dropped to 12.8v. So we took it away camping and had the waeco set +3 or 3 green lights,anyway everything was cold.never turned it off and today Friday midday thought lets disconnect the car battery and see what happens,easily jump started the diesel  2.8lt car,when got home it still showed 12.02v so the purpose of the exercise was to see how long I could run a waeco without charging the battery,so far impressed. next time which should be Tuesday next week will take the amp meter and measure the exact draw current,not I but get the student to do it..

doesnt sound stuffed to me. Measure the draw, and work out how many A/h have been removed. Let the voltage settle with no load for a few hours, then re do the batt voltage. I'd guess its around 50-60% discharged at this point, but that could be wildly out...

• Upvote 1

I had the same battery’s dry , I put it down to the solar panels , I was told with them check the fluid every 3 months ish , at the end one battery had one or some cells dead , it would not hold any charge time sent to it , so after 5 years two new battery’s fitted back to normal,