Injectors

Guest 000

Had the injectors and pump serviced recently and now that we are out in the gulf the engine has started running a bit rough. The problem is the injectors have loosened up a bit. We sailed off on our cruise 5 minutes after I reinstalled the injectors and I tightened them with a 10 inch crescent spanner. The questions are (1) do injectors need to be retightened on new copper washers and (2) I don't know the tightening torque, but is it possible to get them tight enough with an adjustable spanner?

No air in the system. The injectors are working loose. Have nipped them up twice already which is why I question whether enough torque can be applied via a 10 inch adjustable spanner.

They should not be working loose, something is not right? did you anneal the copper washers before re-installing the inj. or did you fit a new washer? Were it me I would pull the inj. and check the washer for crush.. the only other possibility  that springs to mind is the thread on the inj. or in the head starting to fail. Hope it's the washer. and you can have a lovely cruise without any tails of cyclones to hide from.  ;-)   ;-)

No air in the system. The injectors are working loose. Have nipped them up twice already which is why I question whether enough torque can be applied via a 10 inch adjustable spanner.

I have always put new washers on the injectors when ever I have removed them. When I was an apprentice a great number off years ago, our boss at the time impressed upon us the importance of doing so with his boot.

I 2nd the issue is with washers or thread. You can put plenty of torque on the injectors with a Crescent, but certainly best to use a ring spanner. My old mentor used to say you should blush every time you use a Crescent (adjustable wrench).

Use some twink, paint or something, put a line down the side of the injector and onto the head. Then if it unscrews at all, the line ends will be broken.

If it's coming loose without unwinding, the washer is crushed, or the injector thread is failing..

Always use New copper washers !!!
In saying that, I have reused originals at times with no issues.

But!!!!
I am slightly confused. Haven't you got a 3GM? They don't have screw in injectors. They have a collar with a bolt each side that pulls them down. Or are you referring to the return line on the top leaking? They have a banjo fitting with a copper washer top and bottom. But they don't need a lot of tightening.
However, even if they are screw in, the Main delivery line and the return line should lock the injector and stop it unwinding anyway. So I am confused as to what is happening here.
      Injectors do have two parts to them. They screw together as two pieces and should never be able to just unscrew just for the fun of it. That would mean they have not been put together properly and I would be taking them back to the guy that worked on them and say hey, they keep unscrewing. He has forgotten something. I have to say, I have never assembled an injector. I have always left that to the injector guy, so I am not sure what would allow that to happen.

Its s Perkins perama m30. New copper washers by the threaded part of the injector and new crush washers under the tip. It appears to take quite a bit of force to actually crush the crush washer. I have tightened them up really firmly again and all now seems to be OK. I agree with IT and don't like crescent spanners as they tend to slip off the nut. Since the injectors are in close proximity to a number of hand piercing hose clip tails I was perhaps not applying enough force..

Thanks wheels. A torque number is exactly what I needed to know, otherwise its all just guesswork. Unfortunately my torque wrench is at home but I can borrow one from a conveniently located rellie at Gulf Harbour.

SBJ, that's a handy bit of info, and I can say that I haven't put 72 pounds on my crescent - that's a lot of weight. You may be able to do that with a good quality adjustable spanner but mine is an el cheapo with sloppy jaws and would slip off the but at that pressure. Back to bludging off the relies for his torque wrench.