Age Racing - Mount Gay to be won

New competition,

For the Simrad 100, post your boat name, age of boat, age of crew, we'll give you an "age correction factor" to be applied to your time and a bottle of Mount Gay to the winner.

Mr. Roosevelt (launched 1985 = 25 years old)

Matt: 36

Mark: 36

We must be in the age correction 'sweet spot' surely. Both pushing 40, but admittedly we still get asked for ID everywhere we go.

Charlatan 25 years (1985 launch) - can I claim 30 years, the build started in 1980.....

Fish 35 years

Neil 42 years

So which way does the handicap go, best is oldest boat and youngest crew?

Still working on the fine details, but I imagine something like PaulR's formula applied to the corrected time, zero correction at the median favouring young and old. Or something.

So from PaulR's post in the other thread

Are the Youth and Newer boats of today better than the older experienced sailors with olders boats of former years

e.g. SIMRAD Skipper + Crew + (4 x boat years) = age factor (%)

then from results Corrected Time x Age Factor = Aged Results.

Charlatan would rate 35+42+(4x30) = 197

Is that good?

I reckon it should be

(Boat age x 4) - skipper - crew = age correction factor.

Older boats are generally slower / lower tech, but older sailors are more experinced / have more cunning and tricks.

The age correction factor should favour old boats with young crew.

So a super duper modern boat with seasoned old sea dogs racing it should thump an old kauri log raced by young guy's with no idea...

I think your fishing now fish, so is Charlatan 25 or 30 and if so are we talking launch date or design date and while were at it anyone over 60 should get double points for just being out there doing it.

I think your fishing now fish, so is Charlatan 25 or 30 and if so are we talking launch date or design date and while were at it anyone over 60 should get double points for just being out there doing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon gets bonus points for attention to detail, ok Charlatan was launched 25 years ago, but if Tioga Iti was born in 1986 that would make her 24 not 26 :wink:

How about htis then squid,

Start with 100

subtract boat age x 3

add skipper and crew combined age

then decimalise it, i.e. divided by 100

to give the ACF (age correction factor), then multiply that by corrected time.

So, for Charlatan

100-(3x25)+42+35 = 102

102/100 = 1.02 ACF

For a scratch boat (ACF = 1.00) the boat age should roughly cancel out the crew age I reckon, so boat age x3

This way either old boats or young crew will be outliers, while middle aged boats with middle aged crew will be about average.

What do you reckon?

Paulr, are you here to conver tthese

Yes, I'm here and will collate the details and fix, fudge and fuse the numbers together and will create the factors, once everybody puts up their details.

So if everybody tells 3 or 5 others, then . . . . . .

Next Monday looks good :thumbup: so good racing until then.

Still working on the fine details, but I imagine something like PaulR's formula applied to the corrected time, zero correction at the median favouring young and old. Or something.

Yes see other post . . . definately "something!!"

Archived