Age Racing - Mount Gay to be won

So from PaulR's post in the other thread

Are the Youth and Newer boats of today better than the older experienced sailors with olders boats of former years

e.g. SIMRAD Skipper + Crew + (4 x boat years) = age factor (%)

then from results Corrected Time x Age Factor = Aged Results.

Charlatan would rate 35+42+(4x30) = 197

Is that good?

Looks good so far!! Good luck :shh:

I reckon it should be

(Boat age x 4) - skipper - crew = age correction factor.

Older boats are generally slower / lower tech, but older sailors are more experinced / have more cunning and tricks.

The age correction factor should favour old boats with young crew.

So a super duper modern boat with seasoned old sea dogs racing it should thump an old kauri log raced by young guy's with no idea...

OR

THEORY II

The reverse will apply sometimes in the Southern Hemisphere. Corellis (?) effect; rum swirls the opposite way in the glass below the equator.

I think your fishing now fish, so is Charlatan 25 or 30 and if so are we talking launch date or design date and while were at it anyone over 60 should get double points for just being out there doing it.

I have thought about "design" dates but obtaining the truth, the whole truth and the exact second, adjusting to the longitude of the launching position, converting all to UTC etc just seems a bit too much at this stage.

It would eliminate R930's for some that have been floating for years are still within the design stage :think: . . . . . knot thinking of any reptilian associated vessels in particular :shh:

So from PaulR's post in the other thread

Are the Youth and Newer boats of today better than the older experienced sailors with olders boats of former years

e.g. SIMRAD Skipper + Crew + (4 x boat years) = age factor (%)

then from results Corrected Time x Age Factor = Aged Results.

Charlatan would rate 35+42+(4x30) = 197

Is that good?

New Rule: I think we should have first names :thumbup: The others as above have set the style.

New Rule: I believe entries (by posting as above) should have a closing time of 0900 Saturday. :thumbup:

I think your fishing now fish, so is Charlatan 25 or 30 and if so are we talking launch date or design date and while were at it anyone over 60 should get double points for just being out there doing it.

I have thought about "design" dates but obtaining the truth, the whole truth and the exact second, adjusting to the longitude of the launching position, converting all to UTC etc just seems a bit too much at this stage.

It would eliminate R930's for some that have been floating for years are still within the design stage :think: . . . . . knot thinking of any reptilian associated vessels in particular :shh:

Yeah we better go with launch date. If we went with design date Charlatan would be early 70's, being a Rhubarb and all. That would match Willow, but the Stewart 34's would win hands down. Didn't bob Stewart draw them in the ealry 1920's, or was that 1850's? I get mixed up, sure are a successful class for something that was around when Jim Cook was working on the first charts of NZ....

Anyone know when Rhubarb was launched?

How about htis then squid,

Start with 100

subtract boat age x 3

add skipper and crew combined age

then decimalise it, i.e. divided by 100

to give the ACF (age correction factor), then multiply that by corrected time.

So, for Charlatan

100-(3x25)+42+35 = 102

102/100 = 1.02 ACF

For a scratch boat (ACF = 1.00) the boat age should roughly cancel out the crew age I reckon, so boat age x3

This way either old boats or young crew will be outliers, while middle aged boats with middle aged crew will be about average.

What do you reckon?

I will look at this if I need to, once "entries" are in.

I may also need to do a distance adjustment for the different courses

OR twist Squids arm and get 2 more bottles as there are basically 3 courses. But at this initial stage I would prefer to see what entries come in, what the results are before going to extra complicated adjustments. KISS principle.

Is that OK with all?

P.S. Stewart 34s have a design age of 51 or 52 years. Need to look up when Patiki was launched.

Charlatan 25 years (1985 launch) - can I claim 30 years, the build started in 1980.....

Fish 35 years

Neil 42 years

So which way does the handicap go, best is oldest boat and youngest crew?

No. Splash is "Splash".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon gets bonus points for attention to detail, ok Charlatan was launched 25 years ago, but if Tioga Iti was born in 1986 that would make her 24 not 26 :wink:

Yes spreadsheet formula is using 24 years.

P.S. Stewart 34s have a design age of 51 or 52 years. Need to look up when Patiki was launched.

"...the original Patiki, designed by Bob Stewart for Peter Colmore-Williams and built by John Lidgard in 1960" - Century of Sail, p76

Good concept PaulR :thumbup:

Have entered ages into spreadsheet, added in SIMRAD Div's, YNZ PHRF details.

OLD FARTS FACTORS to date:

1.330 Mercenary

1.117 Fineline

1.083 Tiaoga Iti

1.052 Mr Roosevelt

1.022 Charlatan

0.962 Danaide

0.947 Open Country

0.712 Panacea

So OLDER crews get better handicaps = as desired

Older boats get lower handicaps = as desired

Newest boat is 1991 Danaide but Paddy's age lowered handicap = as desired but age needs checking as per "?" in above post.

I looked at Fish's suggestions.

#1 = created some negative figures so not really useful or formulae needs revision.

#2 = gave older boats worst handicaps, especially if crewed by youth. Perhaps the formulae should be - Skipper's age - crew's age.

I don't know if I can post the spreadsheet here but previous software would knot allow it.

PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

Danaide 19 years ( 1991 Launched)

Jon; 49

Paddy; 63 (I think)

The only reason for the (I think) is he maybe older just he has a policy of not counting birthdays if your in the open ocean, said that they don't count and I have been with him on 3 such occasions.

But he was 60 at the last RNI I think

The skin shedding Reptile. Splash happened Xmas 83

The Silver top - 47 (maybe 39-40 working on the Paddy timeline :) )

The Polished top - 46

The Mt Gay - less than a year old and less than 4 days to live

I was at Rubarbs launching and was only a nipper. My longest standing memory of a pile of very pissed dudes. I remember one of them falling over and taking a pile of others with him like a set of domino's they were all that pissed. The old man was maggoted big time. Shite loads of Gin if memory serves me right. Guessing early 70's????

The skin shedding Reptile. Splash happened Xmas 83

The Silver top - 47 (maybe 39-40 working on the Paddy timeline :) )

The Polished top - 46

The Mt Gay - less than a year old and less than 4 days to live

I was at Rubarbs launching and was only a nipper. My longest standing memory of a pile of very pissed dudes. I remember one of them falling over and taking a pile of others with him like a set of domino's they were all that pissed. The old man was maggoted big time. Shite loads of Gin if memory serves me right. Guessing early 70's????

Yep rhubarb was launched about 1973-74, we got saracen around then, sailed her for a season and did ok. Then rhubarb came along, thrashed everyone in our division.

Archived