#11 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

PukaPuka Inlet in Mahurangi is the safest spot around.

But only suitable for smaller, shallow draft yachts, say < 35 ft, < 2m draft.

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

What would your preferred spot be KM?

Depends where I am but just somewhere sheltered from waves and Northerlies.

Nothing suggests more then 60kts so it's not that big.

Bed your anchor in well, put lots of scope out, check for potential chafe issues (if in any doubt assume there is one and do something to mitigate issues at 3am), outboard off dingy and anything left in it tied on, maybe extra rope to dingy, tie halyards out from mast, maybe deploy secondary if you want or have it ready to go, have a float handy to tie to anchor warp in case of having seconds to 'get the hell outer here' from dragging clusters, put on second or a extra long snubber to allow for bigger loads, maybe take down boom tent, pennants down.... do the things you don't want to be doing or maybe having to do at 3am in 50kts and pissing rain.

Be a good Boy Scout, or Girl Guide if you swing that way, by Being Prepared. It should only take a few minutes.

#13 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

In sw or NE winds either side of motuihe are good,if you get in the lee of the Norfolk pines you are very sheltered, often zero wind.

#14 Vorpal Blade

Vorpal Blade

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

We are currently anchored in 2m of water in Crater bay, Te Puna inlet, Rafted with with Pulse and Tango. We have 5 anchors out and two lines ashore to some rather large pohutukawas. We are only seeing 30kts or so in the gusts but the really heavy rain has just begun so it may be about to increase.
There are only 6 other boats in here including one dickhead that has about 200m of warp out and is using half of the bay in his massive swings.
for awesome custom made fabric products
http://www.coversandcanvas.co.nz

#15 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

I ran away home from it yesterday which was a little disgruntling.  But I decided that with two kids under 8 and a partner who hadn't sailed until just over a year ago we didn't need to be stressed out in 50-60 knots just yet.  

Esp when Windy had the worst winds coming through Fitzroy at 2am tomorrow morning.

No problem if you hold, it was the 'not holding' scenario I was worried about.

#16 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

I ran away home from it yesterday which was a little disgruntling.  But I decided that with two kids under 8 and a partner who hadn't sailed until just over a year ago we didn't need to be stressed out in 50-60 knots just yet.  

Esp when Windy had the worst winds coming through Fitzroy at 2am tomorrow morning.

No problem if you hold, it was the 'not holding' scenario I was worried about.

Prudent skipper making a right choice in my view.
Why stress be safe and sail longer.
All good.

#17 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

86 knot gust up in Kaeo! Stating to see 60+ gusts at Tutukaka lighthouse

#18 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Tucked up in the corner at Tryphena with a few others. Not a lot of wind the odd puff of 30 so far but loads of rain. Lots of scope out everything strapped down and anti chafe on the anchor rode. Just rowed ashore to run the dog a bit of an adventure. Will head out tomorrow ish once it starts to go north west and head for Mercury bay.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#19 The big T

The big T

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:41 AM

Says a lot for our news service when a yacht dragging in Islington Bay makes national news.

#20 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Good call muzled. I was up during the night at the marina. One good squirt dislodged some fenders so glad I was around.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users