#11 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

"Black Rock"miners stout,cannot beat it,did lion brown recently and never in wildest dreams think I would sit down and demolish 24 home brew stubbies over 3 days.

Only time there is alcohol at home/boat is if the wife buys it,I am too lazy to stop.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#12 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

while trying to post some pics of recommended beer from countdown

got sucked into an online countdown gift card offer

misleading advertisng at its worst

after extracting my phone number and declining many many offers for crap

it said i needed to call a pay number and sit on hold for many minutes, at $3/min? for a promo code

backed out then

but not quick enough

am now getting calls about funeral insurance

f$%k u countdown

f$%k you very much

if posts offend .. or even too hard

please "ignore" :thumbup:

http://crew.org.nz/f...ea=ignoredusers

#13 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

am now getting calls about funeral insurance

f$%k u countdown

f$%k you very much

I quite enjoy it when you get those calls and then ask them to 'hold the line for a second' as I have to 'do something' but will be 'back in a second or two'.

Pop the phone down in the nearest convenient spot and continue on with life while they wait on the other end...

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

It's not Countdown, that's only used to sucker you in. The same dodgy happens connected to a range of name's.

When uninvited annoy tossers ring me I'll not them let them stay of script, generally by asking them if their significant other shaves their 'Lady Garden' if talking to a bloke or 'Gentlemans sausage' if talking to a women. I promise to answer their questions 'as soon as we get mine out of the way first'. Most realise pretty quick they are going no where but the odd one hangs in in hope. With them I generally then unleash a barrage of questions on them along the lines of 'Do they eat Cats', when was the last time they had explosive diarrhoea, what's their sister/brothers/Mothers cell number, do they have a good recipe for BBQ sauce and other weird sh*t so they never manage to get back on track.

Don't be nice to sh*t, fight back, it can be a huge pile of fun.

But when bored I do a Muzled, "Hang on, I'll be back in 1 sec" and walk away leaving them hanging.

#15 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

I won't pick on the poor sod on the phone. Not his/her fault. You need to get further up the pyramid
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#16 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

ha!

not surprised their blood sucking marketing gets a serve

https://www.stuff.co...neral-insurance

if posts offend .. or even too hard

please "ignore" :thumbup:

http://crew.org.nz/f...ea=ignoredusers

#17 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

So while this thread started about my second favourite topic, here's my 2c worth.

For all the reasons given by Erice and Fish above, one can make acceptable beer from kits, but control over the bitterness and hop flavours is difficult. Getting decent kits is important and getting an even better yeast is also very important. 

If you can find a light amber beer kit (amber being a lightly hopped style over here) and then add some hops you can get back to a reasonable bitterness and recover some fresh aroma.

All too often though, I feel the term "craft beer" is loosely applied to anything that has a crap ton of hops, and its hipster value outweighs its drinkability. Sure it's good to have a bit of bite, or fruity aroma etc. but I find many of the so called craft beers in NZ to be overly hopped and a bit samey.

Conveniently though, all that hoppy aroma is a great way to hide other flavours that are less desirable that have come about through lesser understanding or control of the process.

I'm not sure what's easily available in NZ at the moment in terms of kits or supplies, having put down my last brew in Hamilton about 14y ago, but more recently over here we've been experimenting with the grain only approach, basically following the Rheinheitsgebot: Malted barley, water, hops and yeast. 

Decided to aim for a pilsner, meaning it's hard to hide off flavours etc. so felt it was technically more challenging and we aim for about 4.8-5% alc., any more is too much for a good drinking summer beer.

4.5kg of malted grain (Munich pilsner) makes about 24L of beer for about 9 bucks.

USed Hallertau hops, they're quite low on bitterness (~2%) as opposed to the "Pacific Gem" we bought sourced from Motueka (13.4%)...

Adding the hops in two or three steps as mentioned before by others.

We use a bottom fermenting yeast (Saflager-S23) and keep the 25L primary vessel (blue plastic barrel in the vid) at 12-13°C, sg. starting at around 1.060. Takes about 2.5weeks for it to brew out to theoretical minimum (there are online calculators). When it's about 0.001 point away from minimum we bottle it, no priming sugar, then keep it in the garden shed at about 4-5°C. 2 months and it's good to go...

Here's a vid of our beer. My friend Martin (red beard) made the vid.

The mashing step here takes about 2-3hours and has pauses at different temperatures to let different enzymes work to different degrees, esp. the alpha and then beta amylases to develop either more body and less alcohol or vice versa.

I find a lot of kit beer has the same bad yeasty flavours. Found we could reduce this by moderating primary fermentation temperature, and also by disgorging bottles (like champagne) after just a week or two to dump most of the early sediment. Meaning you can keep the beer off the lees in the bottle, reducing flavour transfer from the broken dead yeast cells.

It's a bit of a fickle process though needing to keep stuff cool 1°C to reduce CO2 loss and racking upside down etc. 

Prost!

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#18 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:35 AM

followed the instructions on a kit once and very yeasty,spoke to guy who said get the wart?up to +18 with added yeast,leave for 3 weeks,use carbonation balls rather than sugar,leave for a month at same temp wart was at upside down then a week up right way,chill then consume.    Did a red wine kit once and very successful.  Best kit of the lot was a Soloman Gundy peach wine,exactly what the instructions said ,brew on Monday drunk on Sunday. 

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#19 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

All too often though, I feel the term "craft beer" is loosely applied to anything that has a crap ton of hops, and its hipster value outweighs its drinkability. Sure it's good to have a bit of bite, or fruity aroma etc. but I find many of the so called craft beers in NZ to be overly hopped and a bit samey.

Craft beers seems to be applied to non-mainstream beers generally made by non mainstream brewers or that's what I use and it does seem to be what most I talk to define the term. But is is cloudy for sure as the mainstream brewers are buying up the craft brewers once their name gets up there.

The kits and stuff tend to be referred to as the hobby beers or home brew. I've only very really heard the term craft applied to home brew. The term 'crafting beer' is used in homebrew but then it's used across the whole spectrum.

You need to spend some time in Welly, craft beers everywhere and that will remove any doubt you have used the term 'a bit samey' quite wrongly. The range available in Cuba Street alone would totally smash that sort of thinking. 

You can have light almost watery yet sort of intriguing, so much so you have to go back for a second suss, thru to your big thick and heavies or wheats or sours and a lot more coudys popping up lately. The range is far more diverse than you'd find in your average pub running the usual selection but only by a massive shitload.

I think a day in Cuba would change your mind........ and if done well add 3-4kg along with taking 2-3 days to get over :)

Hipsters tend to drink the fad beer of the week so if they see a facebook saying cats piss lager is the one, buy shares in cats piss lager but plan to sell them in a weeks time. Your average hipster is a marketing dept dream, more malleable than play dough.

#20 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Sounds like I might make a trip to Welly the next time I'm home :)

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users