15 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

We have a need for a digital person, no not like one of the lads here is building (voted staff member most likely to build his own girlfriend from secondhand modems and old computers, a possibility he has yet to deign scarily), someone to look after our digital stuff.

Will include working the website, building catalogues, doing graphics and things along those lines. That's the main thrust of the position but it will also include some hands on with the goodies when things get crazy or the need is there from time to time. That's measuring stuff out, stick it in boxes for courier, splicing if they are up for it and other general not too technical stuff.

Can be male or female or other or still deciding. But be aware we do have a male rich environment and while none are/have/intend anything bad or offensive it is not the most PC of environments sometimes but it is all just talk nothing more. Our ladies do give as good as the blokes, often they are better at it. But it is all in jest, anything more is not acceptable.

Pay, yeah we'll do that. We don't do minimums and we do reward good work. Very strong on work/life balance, we believe we work to live and think anyone who lives to work is a sad bastard.  So 8am to 4.30pm is the usual, can add 30misn either side in busy period and occasionally a Sat morning if things are going off. Hours outside 8-4.30 are optional.

Age - not important but we do like to give younguns, often just ex-schoolies, a chance to get into the work place. The Government looks to be stopping that shortly but in the mean time we're willing to give a newbie a chance.

90 days trial - technically yes it is there but we've never once even thought of using it, like most we have never had the need.

Drivers licence - good to have but not critical.

Attitude - we like a good one but too much can be bad. The ability to know when to use some and when to just STFU would be a magnificent quality to have. Work wise when the job has to be done the ability to just get it done even if your having a crap day is another magnificent quality.

Computer skills - good ones as this is the guts of the job. We aren't asking to design nuclear material refining factories or Boeings next super aircraft but good with websites and MS office like things. Good with layouts and getting things to a 'ready to print' stage.

Product Knowledge - be nice to have some boating just for the terminology but not critical. Some of the info will be technical and we do know we will most likely have to help whomever with that, taht's fine. But more clues the merrier obviously.

What they would need - a good attitude, closed footware, tidy clothes, the ability to think for yourself, the ability to say 'Sorry I do not know, I may need some help'. That's all. We are willing and to send our people on training courses from time to time, we pay for that.

Location is Wairau Valley on the North Shore.

In an ideal world we see a just left schoolie or maybe a GAP yearer who has a interest in computers, has a arty touch and wants to get into the workforce. We do know newbies need help with, are happy to help with that and we have had lots of experiance doing so. But that's not critical.

Sound like you or maybe for something that's currently stretched out on the couch at home, then PM me.

#2 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Said it before,KM. You got a gift with the language. With an ad like that its a pity I'm not 50 years younger - I'd be knocking on your door..
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

I wouldn't be happy with your commute Chris. Especially if you did it on your push bike, that would wear me out just thinking about it ;)

last night I had a just ex-schoolie drop me a email asking what model iPhone comes with the job as anything earlier than a i5 was unacceptable......WTF?????  When that lads eyes finally open to reality he's in for a bit of a shock.

#4 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

last night I had a just ex-schoolie drop me a email asking what model iPhone comes with the job as anything earlier than a i5 was unacceptable......WTF?????  When that lads eyes finally open to reality he's in for a bit of a shock.

haha, good farking lord!  I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if I read that!

Sounds almost tempting to give him an interview to get an insight to the planet he lives on.

#5 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

I've heard about that attitude but......still unbelievable. Like a LLL Govt,'what can we do for you to make you a dependent for life' . Your business can step up and fill in any gaps,like a vehicle,wide screen TV,hey maybe even a yacht to help with job orientation ? Scary bit is someone,one day could end up actually employing this (person)

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#6 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

You guys are potentially missing the point.

Its around incentives and benefits. Potentially you could pay this guy $10k / year less than what the job is worth, providing you provide incentives such as the latest iPhone X.

There is a wide range of incentives companies can use to attract good talent, and or reduce outright remuneration costs. In the case of expense items such as mobile phone, they should be tax deductible expenses, where as it would cost pimply face more via wages less PAYE  etc.

Other good examples are flexible working hours, professional development, training etc, which Mr Me has already touched on.

That said, you wouldn't dive into iPhone models in an introductory email. That shows a lack of judgment and poor communication skills, and what you guys are almost definitely getting at is a sense of entitlement out of step with the scope and position of the job.

Mr Me, the job add doesn't say if the 'successful' applicant would be required to work with the Proprietor. That might have a large bearing on the quality of applicant you could attract   :roll:  

#7 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm, following this thread from the start I'm thinking maybe Fish is onto something. My thought pattern went somewhere along the lines of...
Dammit I still live too far away, dammit again it's a long time since I left school, WTF is that kid thinking, and finally, good point, it's an IT role, keep the applicant happy with tax deductible toys and you can probably save a fortune in wages.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#8 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

I think it's an attitude thing. Having the cheek to be demanding the type of phone he wants before even entering the interview proccess. I'm afraid he wouldn't get through the door with me. 

#9 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

That's a maybe. The point I'm making is the absolute sense of entitlement And dominant attitude. Wants to start with KM's position and move on from there. KM probably wants someone to fit in with the current situation ? Not make new rules to fit in with new staff ?

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Working with me would be eye opening, a learning experiance and good for their future.

That phone dude is not unusual. I scored a young fella 2 years ago, started great guns and did  good job but 3 weeks after he started he didn't turn up one day. Hmmmmm.... not liking his lack of communication, Oh well he is 19 so knows feck all, I'll chat with him tomorrow about the need to communicate. Next day came but he didn't and no word,....Hmmmmm. The next day and still nothing so I rang him to see if everything was OK. Yeap everything was fine, he was happy and healthy. Ah so why aren't we coming to work? the reply - "I only wanted a new phone and I have that now so I don't want to work any more".

I belong to a group of small business owners and once a month we meet to chat through the problems each of us have as the others may have been there done that etc. Most business faces the same problems so it's handy being able to chat with the people in the same boat facing the same issues, so to speak. The young fella above is very sadly not unusual or out of the ordinary, all in the group report the same sort of things.

But I suspect the millennials etc know they are about to inherit some huge wealth from their far harder working boomer parents. That combined with the masses of marketing that's continually telling them 'you can be whoever you want to be' and 'Buy this now, don't worry about paying for it, we'll put it on tick for you', is just making them think why bother working hard, I don't have to and I don't need to.

We wonder why we need so much immigration, NZers are breeding themselves into extreme entitled laziness and at the current rate will be totally useless in a generation or 2.

Re toys - Where to you start and finish? Do that for one and then the next one wants similar but not quiet the same, the 3rd ones wants something different again, the 4th and before you know it Admin spends 2 hours a day managing all the varying wants and desires which then leads to having to employ someone else to finish Admins work because some 18 yo thinks they are entitled to demand I run the business just for their benefit. Sure that can be done but the marine industry doesn't have the money nor the customers willing to pay for that. In IT sure that's an option as it is a mega wealthy industry where even brainless newbies earn sh*t loads more than I ever will. Also the end users of much IT are trained to pay moonbeams for average, very very very unlike the marine industry where punters want and demand Ferraris but are only willing to pay for a Great Wall.

Just because it involves a computer it doesn't mean it's an IT job. There's nothing in it everyone else here can't do but we are all busy working in other areas. There is nothing more technical involved than what anyone who has posted on Crew hasn't already done. But it is an opportunity for a person to gain work experiance and in doing so can use us to prove they aren't a lemon to maybe the boss of Microsoft or some mob doing technical stuff who pays the mega bucks.

If anyone saw the news the other night there was an article about a group of employers, up to over 150 odd, who are saying out loud to prospective newbies 'We don't care what qualifications you have, if any at all, but we are willing to give you a go so you can prove yourself'. As the spokesperson and a couple of newbies all pointed out, when asked 'what have you done previously?' when they can only say "Errr...left school, played X Box' it doesn't show much gumption. Add that to NCEA which tells a employer nothing and all that's left to go on is a hunch and under the employment rules making a bad hunch can cost mega bucks and take a long time to correct. If the changes suggested by the Government happen newbies are going to be screwed even more as that hunch could very easily cost a business 10's of $1000's in trying to correct, many can not afford that so simply won't give people a chance. But if a newer to the workforce can say 'I was a dogs body for XYZ, but I arrived on time, listen to instruction and was good at it, here suss this reference', that will open far more doors. That's pretty much exactly what this opportunity is, a chance to prove you aren't those 2 phone dudes and to find out the realities of the big wide world that is beyond school.

I've given 6 - 7 a similar chance and once they were good I then used my contacts to get them into bigger and better. So far I've grown 2 builders, a senior ranger in a wildlife park, 2 now fully qualified engineers and one who will very shortly be top dog on a Navy Warship. Everyone left with my full help (like making one re-write his application for the navy as his 1st go when asked 'why do you want to join the navy? was 'To see the world and shoot ragheads'. Arrr.. dude, the navy likes a little pscyco but is not huge on psychopaths :).  I help him as his dad did a runner years ago and mum was all a bit flustered, I was happy to do so) and with glowing references.

But being a newbie isn't critical, they could be a crusty...................... and to be honest a crusty would make my and the teams life far far easier and the job done faster and cleaner. The newbie offers are simply me trying to give others the same opportunity that John Street (Mr Foster Chandlers back in the day) gave me, a chance to show I wasn't useless and could be made into a productive member of the NZ workforce. It wasn't easy but he was willing to put the effort in, a action that did put me in a very god place to carry on from and with a far bit of knowledge I use to this very day. The dude is more of a legend than many do realise, if I could be 25% of John I'll die a very happy man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users