15 replies to this topic

#11 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

That phone dude is not unusual. I scored a young fella 2 years ago, started great guns and did  good job but 3 weeks after he started he didn't turn up one day. Hmmmmm.... not liking his lack of communication, Oh well he is 19 so knows feck all, I'll chat with him tomorrow about the need to communicate. Next day came but he didn't and no word,....Hmmmmm. The next day and still nothing so I rang him to see if everything was OK. Yeap everything was fine, he was happy and healthy. Ah so why aren't we coming to work? the reply - "I only wanted a new phone and I have that now so I don't want to work any more".

That is a shocker. Did you manage to get your phone back off him?

Good work on the 'giving them an opportunity' front.

For an internet based job ad, what is your ratio of dross to worthwhile applicants?

Last time I did one it was about 60 complete dross, 5 or so CV's worth reading and 1 or 2 worth interviewing if you were lucky.

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

That is a shocker. Did you manage to get your phone back off him?

:) Na, he's a fruity lad and scored a Apple, a company I don't have much time for due to their lack of tax paying and turning a blind eye to employee welfare issues.

Generally I do pretty well as I spell things out early and don't get all PC on them or let them drift into PC mode. Many of the team have come from word of mouth which often includes 'the boss is relaxed but will explain how much of a f*ck up you are if you try to be one'. I'd say I've been luckier than most with scoring good people...once I've bash some common sense into them of course. We have a very low staff turnover, most have left with my help straight into apprenticeships.

There was one dude a year or 3 back who was scary as sometimes but we persevered and he came through it alive, contrary to most people inc himself I suspect, expectations. But then Wheels hasn't been a teenager for a few decades which probably helped. We do miss the excitement of living on the edge he gave us at times, often unintentionally, when he was in full MacGyver mode :D :D :D

#13 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

I was interested until the bit about closed in shoes... And the commute would be a killer

#14 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

At least he didn't waste it on food, clothing or shelter . . 

#15 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

If the applicant is computer savvy, they’ll be aware that even iPhone 5 will not be supported for much longer in terms of os updates that fix things like security flaws....

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#16 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

I was interested until the bit about closed in shoes... And the commute would be a killer

Talk about closed in shoes.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Puke Transfer station to drop of some rubbish, I go refuse entry as I had jandals on "Health & Safety" of course, so I was around corner to the Warehouse and bought some $15 shoes. Went back to the station, go entry but under the cashiers window I saw a small sign, "Open toes sandals and shoes are ok".

Whats the diff between jandals and open toes sandals???

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users