Speeding fines on the water

Speed guns catch too many boaties speeding

16 January 2018

A trial of on the water laser speed guns is showing too many boaties, at least in Marlborough, are breaking speeding rules.

Maritime NZ Acting Director, Nigel Clifford, said Maritime Officers and Marlborough District Council Harbourmaster’s staff will be back on the water today and speeders will get infringement notices.

Each infringement notice comes with a fine of $200.

Marlborough Harbourmaster, Luke Grogan, said it was disappointing that in a two-hour trial last week 10 recreational boaties were caught speeding.

“Compliance with speed rules was not great,” Mr Grogan said.

“We get lots of emails and phone calls complaining about boaties speeding close to shore and in busy areas.

“Speeders are unhappy when we catch them but their speed puts children, swimmers, divers and other boats at risk.”

Nationwide, the five knot rule is in place within 200 metres of shore and within 50 metres of swimmers, divers and other boats.

Mr Clifford said Maritime NZ is funding the trial and working with the Marlborough Harbourmaster to show how speed guns could be used by other councils.

“The trial is going well,” Mr Clifford said. “The speed guns have good range and good accuracy, and other councils are keen to see the results we are getting.”

Mr Grogan said the speed guns are a good additional tool.

“They give solid evidence of a boat’s speed and save a lot of desk work,” he said.

About time I say.  There were simply so many clowns out and about on the water.  

Last week we had two occasions in the sounds where boats failed to give way, both times we had a chat to ask if they knew they were wrong and in both occasions had no idea about collision regs.  And as for the clowns on jetskis using the interislander ferry wake don't get me started.  

The harbourmaster has been doing a good job here this year for a change.  

Anyone notice they don't know their own rules?

5 knots is within 200m of shore and/or a vessel showing the dive flag, 50m is swimmers or another vessel..

Doh!

i understand that has been corrected and the revised version sent out.  

Harbourmaster here in Auckland needs to start regularly enforcing the speed and separation laws in the inner harbour.

The clueless cretins that speed up and down the harbour are eventually going to cost someone their life.

Had one muppet just off Westhaven approaching close and a full tit so just aimed straight at him and that got his attention pretty quick smart.

The clueless cretins that speed up and down the harbour are eventually going to cost someone their life.

You mean like this?

Instead, she was grieving for her husband, Leslie Gelberger, who was killed while swimming in Auckland harbour on Thursday - apparently struck by a Ports of Auckland boat.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/91830616/heartbroken-mum-of-killed-swimmer-leslie-gelberger-fears-his-wife-and-kids-will-be-forced-out-of-nz

You mean like this?

Instead, she was grieving for her husband, Leslie Gelberger, who was killed while swimming in Auckland harbour on Thursday - apparently struck by a Ports of Auckland boat.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/91830616/heartbroken-mum-of-killed-swimmer-leslie-gelberger-fears-his-wife-and-kids-will-be-forced-out-of-nz

They cut the corner right?  No one will get charged would be my guess.  

They cut the corner right?  No one will get charged would be my guess.  

Its been swept so far under the carpet its a joke. Police has said they wont prosecute, apparently its a matter for Maritime NZ. Whilst apparently an investigation was carried out, no one has any idea what actually happened, where the collision occurred, how fast the pilot boat was going etc etc.

About the only thing we know now is the pilot boat goes a lot further out when rounding North Head, as opposed to cutting in like it used to....

Surely to sweep something under a carpet you have to know what that something is.

Or are you another of the sad f*ck happy clappies infesting the world that must seem unable to continue with life unless someone, anyone, is screwed whether they are guilty or not?

A bit like the 'he touched me where it smells funny' fad currently running world wide.

Just a genuine desire to understand, even if only vaguely, what happened. Its not every day a guy gets decapitated swimming of an urban beach. That's all.

To sweep something under the carpet, there needs to be a reasonable expectation that what happened was controversial, and if people knew what happened it would cause headaches for political masters. So in this context, sure looks like what happened has been swept under the carpet.

KM, you sound like you have some latent aggression towards happy people. Do you need to go sailing? get rid of some of that tension?

• Upvote 1

My problem with that incident isn't that someone hasn't been prosecuted. My problem is the vacuum of information about what happened.

I actually agree with you (choke) that there is a strong and growing culture that someone must be 'held to account' for every incident, regardless of their culpability. I don't agree with that and can give several relevant examples ranging from the CTV collapse, Pike River, and others.

Ports of Auckland Limited is both a publicly owned organisation, and a controversial and politically charged organisation. This ranges from watersider strikes a few years back to the constant encroachment into the harbour, and the associated fairly prominent and well attended protests etc.

Following the incident in question, there was a number of fairly clear clues that Auckland Councils PR department (all 126 staff) or some other PR teams started pulling strings. References to POAL or the Pilot boat fell out of the stories. No mention of or updates of the investigation or causes were available. The media did a couple of heart string pulling stories as to what a nice guy the fatality was, but the profile of POAL vanished from the story, and even today (I looked) their is no information available as to what actually happened.

The way that the stories dropped any mention of POAL or the pilot boat at the time certainly had a strong smell of PR and back room phone calls. Understandably on some counts, a large and controversial Council owned business decapitating swimmers off a popular beach is going to give the pollies head aches.

If it walks like a duck, quakes like a duck and shits like a duck, quiet often it turns out to be some sort of feathered water fowl...

• Upvote 1

Great news that the Harbourmasters will now have the tools to measure boaties speed.

In the past it was just, "send us some photos, and we'll send them a warning."  Now they can actually prosecute with evidence.

Far too many speedsters in the Waitemata, and Tamaki River, including the Pine Harbour ferry.

Hi Paul

Thankyou for your email regarding the concern of the speed vessels are transiting the Tamaki River. Unfortunately we are already aware of this issue and have increased our patrolling of the area. We have often requested that the speed restrictions be passed on to people using the dry stack and have left brochures advertising the fact. We are looking at other options for enforcing the speed restrictions.

If you can supply time and photos of particular incidences we may be able to follow up with the owner.

Kind regards

Brenda

Brenda Orr | Maritime Officer
Harbourmasters Office | Transport Operations

Marine Rescue Centre, 3 Solent Street, Mechanics Bay, Auckland
DDI
09 448 7305

The Dry stack for vessels based in Mt Wellington on the Tamaki river have no respect for the 5knot rule. Sending big wakes on to the foreshore and making it very difficult to pick up my mooring or leaving vessel via dinghy. Have emailed the Dry stack company direct but no response.Off the Panmure wharf is a several rowing clubs and it is only a matter of time before someone gets tipped out of their skiff. If no successful response next step will be Maritime New Zealand who have absolute power over water users. Thank you Paul Carnahan

Important notice: The contents of this email and any attachments may be confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you have received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments; any use, disclosure or copying of this message or attachments is prohibited. Any views expressed in this email may be those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Auckland Transport. 

Its been swept so far under the carpet its a joke. Police has said they wont prosecute, apparently its a matter for Maritime NZ. Whilst apparently an investigation was carried out, no one has any idea what actually happened, where the collision occurred, how fast the pilot boat was going etc etc.

About the only thing we know now is the pilot boat goes a lot further out when rounding North Head, as opposed to cutting in like it used to....

From what I've head the pilot boat turned around and had a look for what it had hit.  With maritine NZ for investigation.  Will be an interesting one for sure.  The boats GPS track is pretty clear.  

On the original topic, I would have applauded some council erk with a speed gun the other day.  Passing a yacht (I was outbound, he was inbound) just inside Man-o-War passage in Fitzroy, a f#@kknuckle in one of those big Protectors came past at about 20 knots, between the other yacht and the rocks.  He would have been no more than 15-20 m from either the rocks or the yacht, not a lot of room for error.  If only throwing empty beer bottles at w#nkers was legal, I wouldn't have to deal with the recycling.

Fish I am happy to be proven wrong but from what I understand the Pilot boat can go where he pleases, he doesnt have to stay in the shipping channel and therefore your comment of it 'cutting the corner' is a load of complete of bollocks. If he is allowed to take a shorter route, the same as anyone else, why wouldnt he?

But like I said, happy to be proved wrong

Lets wait for the report, whenever that may be