Speeding fines on the water

Didn't realise using my auto to slowly drive me head to wind for the couple of mins it talks to whip up the main when I'm solo was against the rules in the Waitemata! Better me doing that than random wanderings without it...

Picking out only part of the bylaws can be misleading, we have the same rule in Wellington that goes on to say "unless a helmsman  is standing by in the immediate vicinity of the helm or wheel"  

so what does that mean? Don't leave it on autopilot and go below for a sleep; keep a watch and be ready and able to alter course if you need to.  If you are sailing and using the auto-helm to help you out you are obviously on deck, alert and hopefully even keeping a lookout.  So you comply with the bylaw.

also the bylaws are just about you, they cover a whole range of vessels.

Neil, if you are using the auto to drop sails you would have likely already checked the area around, you are still on deck and if things change you are in a position to take over.  That would comply with the bylaw in Wellington, and I suspect Auckland too.  :thumbup: