#11 vic008

vic008

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Hi, no fuel lift pump on her. New filter.Injectors back in, fuel shoots out of the 2 pipes, Diesel shop had no ideas. Will charge battery. Bloody mystery. Diesel gets to injectors but wont go. Try ether still no go.

#12 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Does it feel like you have OK compression?

#13 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Reading your initial post two things come to mind - you changed the supply hose and now it wont go , so surely a good bleed of the supply,pump, and injectors and you should be back in business...but the second thing is it stopped recently but then went ok again - was this after the overhaul of the pump/injectors ? I'm wondering if the reason it stopped recently is back in play...Any extra background info could shed some light here. As others have mentioned if the battery or starter is a bit dozy it swings the odds against you especially if there is something else such as a little bit of air still in the system somewhere .

#14 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

If all the usual suspect don't work it must be something else. A diesel should only require fuel and compression. Does it even fire or puff smoke out of the exhaust?

If it won't even fire with ether would suggest that compression must be the issue if it does fire with ether but won't run would fuel is the issue.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#15 ynot

ynot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

I had a no start situation one day missed the race start grumpy me grumpy woman and all it happened to be was the stop cable was left pulled out.. What a donkey I felt like

#16 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Mechanical engine shut off on the side of the injector pump?

#17 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

turn it over and sprey hits of CRC engine start into the air intake....  remove air filter...  you will get minor knocking   but the engine will actually run this way

I can bleed me Perkins 4108 this way and they are bastards to manually bleed

#18 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

I had a no start situation one day missed the race start grumpy me grumpy woman and all it happened to be was the stop cable was left pulled out.. What a donkey I felt like

Hey I did that once. almost too embarrassed to mention it. We were becalmed and drifting onto coral so I was shitting myself and not thinking straight,

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#19 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Put some clean fresh diesel in a household spray bottle and remove air filter then crank engine whilst spraying into air intake manifold.

Far better for the engine than ether WD40 etc etc.

If no luck it will pay to check the engine compression with the correct tester.

Standard compression testers will not do the job.

#20 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,516 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hey I did that once. almost too embarrassed to mention it. We were becalmed and drifting onto coral so I was shitting myself and not thinking straight,

You of all people should know there is never anything silly enough to be embarrassing when sailing. There are two types of Boaties. Those that have and those that will. No matter how silly something sounds, we all have either done it or will do.

However, I doubt this is the problem anyway, as all these engine stop parts work by stopping the fuelfrom being pumped from the IP to the Injector. But Vic has said he is getting fuel at the injector, which would not happen if the stop thingy was pulled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users