Canting Rig ?

Why?

Perhaps they should connect it to a keel canting mechanism as well.

Speaking of which....... Noticed my forestay was a bit slack lately and runners met their marks easy. Went out sailing Sunday and just clear of the harbour the forestay wound off the turnbuckle. Rig held up only by genoa and spinnaker halyard. Mast leant back, eek. Dropped mainsail and managed to get the forestay threaded and tightened up without loosing anything. Nice sail after that. Rig looks a lot better too.

Why is a good question.

There must be something to resist the force. Normally it is the keel giving a righting moment. I would argue that a boat points better if the keel is less healed, but they don't appear to be trying to point at all, and have the most god awful half furled headsail. If canting the rig to leeward reduces apparent sail area and spills wind, its beyond me why they would go with a half furled headsail with a bad shape.

The awful headsail makes it look like they just want to sail around with a flat hull.

Makes me think of that new and innovative technology the ancient Polynesians came up with, two hulls....

Don't modern racing multi's have canting rigs as standard now?

And for an alternative, there is a junk rig cruising south of Kawau just now. Aren't junk rigs advantages that they can spill the wind / de-power easy, and are also easy to reef?

Just plain wrong.

Cant to windward a'la Marty and ginge about 25 years ago, yeah, fine, create lift and get gravity on your side.

But this? It's kinda one of those wtf moments, only the W is for who, they need a shrink, pronto

Not new.

A German aerodynamics professor came up with this in the 1960s (I think) but he was doing it on trimarans that were actually built and marketed. I should remember the name of the professor but I don't I think the trimaran brand was called Sigma.

In the 1970s a guy in my native Gothenburg did it to his own Telstar trimaran. In his case the rig was fixed but the side hulls were hinged in a spring-loaded way that allowed the boat to stand up to the wind up to pre-defined load level. Me and my brother joined him to test the system on a windy day. The boat was heavy and leaning over so it was a three-hulled monohull.

/Martin

Stewart 34's have been doing this for years?

Don't the Stewarts do it with forestay sag to help close the top of the jib? That was the explanation given by Rod Davis at Onerahi back in my youth. Apparently they don't perform upwind at all well with a tight rig.

I've never sailed on one, so it's second hand info.

But back on topic, I can see only one minor positive from this idea, in that hull form resistance could be slightly reduced as the hull sits on its lines, and the rudder could remain vertical, so doesn't lift or sink the stern.

But surely negative effects would include the hull being pushed down into the water by the updraft over the rig, the keel providing less lift by being canted to windward, or if it's long enough to work at that angle, insanely deep draught for a small cruiser.

Plus of course, pushing the CoE way down to leeward is going to cause weather helm, probably negating the better rudder angle.