Have your say on the America’s Cup bases

If this is right I mutter 'fucken Panuku' to myself.  That report that came out yesterday saying NZ is the least corrupt country in the world seems to have excluded that department.

NZ has the worst kind of corruption the type that cannot be readily identified and exposed hence the award for the least corrupted.

"hear no evil see no evil"

Plenty smells about the whole process but no one will ever get fingered.

This interview is quite interesting.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018633375

Sounds like bases '2 & 3' weren't meant to be bases as they're wanted by/used for/by the superyachts/marine industry, and TNZ say the other bases on Winyard point are unworkable. 

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018633375/another-day-another-america-s-cup-plan 

Can't imagine Italy being any more organised than us though.  Or maybe if you've got enough money over there you just bulldoze your way through and get what you want.

Can't imagine Italy being any more organised than us though.  Or maybe if you've got enough money over there you just bulldoze your way through and get what you want.

U r quite probably right but Auckland can't afford this shambles and so I reckon give it to the lowest bidder.

It's a hospital pass..

Despite all that, I think it would be cool to host it here I just don't think it will happen and I for one would think the holder has reason to rush off elesewhere.

Shame really. 75 foot foilers - that's pretty awesome..

Despite all that, I think it would be cool to host it here I just don't think it will happen and I for one would think the holder has reason to rush off elesewhere.

Shame really. 75 foot foilers - that's pretty awesome..

Yup would be kinda cool but not at any price.

Best spectator view like many sports however is from a decent size high quality tv.

Really don’t give a rats arse wether it’s here or in Italy.

Not very patriotic to local industry etc I know but this half arsed AC base fiasco has only just begun.

Something about the Auckland physche for doing things by halves.

Banged on endlessly to reclaim the whole of Victoria Park as a park when the undergrounding was done, typical Auckland half arsed bean countered result with a billion tons of vehicle contaminates continuing to rain down on the park users who are trying to improve their health.

One has to wonder how many of these "prominent Aucklanders"  have an "interest" in VHH, or One Market Square-call me a twisted cynic but why else would they fall in behind what is essentially the rich listers VHH option?

Go on Dalts just tell the F wits to make room next to the sticks of dumbarse already up there- surely there will be enough room for a big FU we are off to Italy.

Wished I had time for the popcorn but this dicking around over what has been clearly spelled out is a time sensitive issue has  descended into an episode of Keystone Cops with too many barely concealed agendas, no communication with the team that bought the cup back here and the whole thing  run locally by incompetent idiots who it appears would be incapable of organizing a piss up in a brewery let alone coordinating an international regatta.

Time for a big stick or two to come out and some idiots told to step into line.

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting, but the current palava is fully inline with my expectations. It will definitaly get worse...

This is a major land development project, with tight timeframes, paid for by public money to accomodate private commercial organisations, with a high political component, all on sensitive waterfront land, with a large number of vested interests.

What could possibly go wrong?

I think the major concerns with the Emirates proposal by all of the "prominent Aucklanders" is around surrounding that section of the waterfront with large warehouse structures. The effects on 'visual amenity' will be significant, i.e. you wont be able to see the water or harbour, not to mention glossing over the 75 m wharf extension.  Under this option, you may well have to pay to watch the boats, or just to access the waterfront area - it will be fully screened.

The VHH option actually sounds the most logical to me, in terms of cost, quality of the outcome and environmental / visual effects on the waterfront.

And I would not be bothered if this all went to Italy. The best footage will be on TV, watching from my own boat on the water will be hard work. If it goes to Italy, Auckland saves a major financial burden.

"if it can be done in a ratepayer acceptable cost"

What would be acceptable.

Appears like this Cup could end up costing the rate/taxpayer in excess of $250m.

ETNZ probably thought that once they had secured and returned with the Poisoned Chalice and completed their countrywide tiki tour that Auckland City ratepayers would drop their financial panties at Dalton and Co's feet and build the Taj Mahal of Cup infrastructure along with accepting to pay a staggering hosting fee.

Ahh, happy days they thought.

"This is a major land development project, with tight timeframes, paid for by public money to accommodate private commercial organisations, with a high political component, all on sensitive waterfront land, with a large number of vested interests."

True.

What next who really knows, sure would be interesting being a fly on the wall at ETNZ board meetings.

"Why would Team New Zealand want a "Taj Mahal" solution? It's completely counter to their 30-year history and culture."

"The comment by the Mayor that ETNZ "will get the facilities they need not desire" is typical of the arrogance shown towards the America’s Cup winners, who have made an art form of running their campaigns since 1992 on spartan budgets for a total of 30 years of America’s Cup competition."

If the bases aren't built in time half the benefits to NZ could be lost, as the visiting team members will pay no tax, and team spend could be halved.

Richard should probably leave the tax advice to the accountants.

If in nz for under 183 days they will still pay tax on their nz income. They just won’t pay nz tax on their overseas income which in any case is nil because nz rates are less than almost all other countries where double tax agreements apply.

But yes obviously the less time here means less tax take overall.

• Upvote 1

Not to put a damper on things, but apparently the local iwi (the orakei lot - sorry, forget the name momentarily) have lodged an objection. It's made the midday news on ZB, could have yet another fight to fight.

Just build what you want - by the time council pushes all the paper back across the desk a dozen times, realise the consent still hasn't been granted, and finally decides which contractor can be paid the most for bulldozer hire, the base could be built, event held, bases removed, pine trees planted, watered, fed, harvested, sent to china and sold here as $1 hammer handles.