#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

I hear she dropped the rig in the Akl-TGA

I haven't heard otherwise but does anyone know if everyone is OK?

Ouch, he was in for the TT. That may have just made that a bit trickier. I hope he can get it back up to speed quickish.

Katana = the SunFast 3600, Booboo's old ride.

#2 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Dropped it in Colville, all OK

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#3 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

But the rig is at the bottom of the sea.

Going to be tight to get it fixed before the trans tasman.

#4 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Ouch, but good to hear no one got hurt.

Yes Elly, that has made it suddenly a lot harder.

Any idea of what failed?

#5 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Copied from his Facebook post. I would link it, but know you dont do facebook Grant.

Katana – lost mast in Auckland to Tauranga Yacht race – 2018
Thanks everyone for your support. I thought I’d try to get this down in one hit.
Sailing double handed with Grant Wakefeild. 
Rounded Channel Island at about 8pm with wind having eased right off to about 10kn easterly. About an hour later the breeze built again as the rain came in. I think squally 18-22 gusting 28 but felt more in very dark and torrential rain at times. The wind would occasionally shut down completely with big shifts. With tide going out against the wind the sea state was short and sharp. 
We had been on port for about 30 mins and I had been in the cabin getting on some dry gear. A few bangs coming off waves but nothing out of the ordinary. At about 12pm I came up as we needed to tack out again to clear Te Anaputa Point. Had been on starboard only a few minutes in what seemed like improving conditions when the rig let go. No bangs, no coming off a wave – just collapsed to leeward.
It was very dark but our impression was that it may have given way first at the second spreader and then again as it came down about 3m above the deck. I wish now I’d really concentrated on that detail. My uneducated guess would be that the D2 had given way at some stage and while we were on port it wasn’t under pressure.
The rig was very quickly under the boat as we drifted down over it, boom just over the lifelines.
Fortunately the conditions seemed to improve and the breeze eased right off as we cut through the (wire) side stays with the bolt cutters. Plenty of tension on both the windward cap stay and D1. Grant hacksawed the forestay bolt as the rod was hard to get at over the boat. While Grant was doing this and cutting all the ropes (and cables up the mast) with his trusty Boye knife I put in a distress call in case of a hull puncture from the rig or the prop being tangled and drifting on to the lee shore.
The last thing holding the rig to the side of the boat was the life line that hooked into the goose neck and we couldn’t lift it off. It was bending a stanchion over so we both stood clear and Grant cut the life line and the rig disappeared under the boat. We still had the back stay attached and quickly drifted down on to that with the pressure over the stern life lines bending in the pushpits. Couldn’t see any of the rig just the back stay disappearing into the water at a surprisingly deep angle and a bit reassured there was nothing left under the boat. Backstay was cut and we drifted a few minutes trying to check as best we could before starting the motor. Nothing behind the boat so a quick back up before heading away from the coast. 
We nearly ran across the path of Otway soon after leaving (sorry guys) and realised we were totally invisible so Grant quickly set up the back-up Nav lights. Instead of heading straight back to Auckland we went into Tryphena about 2.30am and grabbed a mooring for a few hours sleep. Another yacht followed us in soon after (Wild Oates).
An uneventful trip back to Auckland …..now where is that insurance policy.
Cheers – Nigel.

#6 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

She did get tangled up on a marker on the way out of the harbour, I wonder if that put some strain on the rig.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Copied from his Facebook post. I would link it, but know you dont do facebook Grant.

Correct so Thanks fella.

No noise or warning just a fall over, what a bastard!!!!!

Looks like the pair had it well sussed though, well done on the dump and clean up lads.

#8 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Interestingly on Facebook there has been some comments on the post talking about a weakness/recall of the spreaders on those.

Not sure of the facts and comments on social media are not always to be believed, but in addition to the comments about spreaders failing on Facebook, I'm pretty sure I remember booboo pulling out of a race northwards (coastal or r66?) Over the last year or two, with a broken spreader or something similar.

Don't know if anyone has more info on the sf3600 and whether there's a known issue there?

Also, the attrition rate for the Tauranga race was generally pretty bad. Seems like it was pretty dirty out there that night from the fact that virtually all the boats pulled out. Perhaps katana had more breeze than they thought?

#9 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

Also, the attrition rate for the Tauranga race was generally pretty bad. Seems like it was pretty dirty out there that night from the fact that virtually all the boats pulled out. Perhaps katana had more breeze than they thought?

The weather was really horrendous off port Charles area, a big storm came over and we started getting smashed a few boats had a lot of seasick crew.

Waves reminded me of the 2011 RNI only it didn't last for four days. Crew were getting wiped off the rail, I got knocked from the wheel a few times, rain was torrential. Not that windy maybe gusts into the low 30's just the awful seaway.

We retired just off Karewa Island the next evening with no wind. Goddamn super moon messed with the weather big time.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

From Nig's description of how the rig went over I'm not seeing a spreader fail.

You'd expect the rig to 'hang' a bit and then twist and do sh*t until a rigging failure happened if a spreader went.

"No bangs, no coming off a wave – just collapsed to leeward." sounds more like a terminal failure of some description.

Never know now though. It could be miles away from where it went in so recovery isn't gonna happen now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users