Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

That carbon looking vinyl rap wasn’t up to it in the end

Boo Boo only just managed to save the rig in their first coastal when a spreader broke, if you were in the sea state that only Colville can throw at you the rig would be in the piss before you even realised there was a problem
Colville on a bad day is the worst I’ve sailed in anywhere in the world, mainly created by the tide and with a super moon on top I’m just glad I don’t do that sh*t any more, but maybe one day soon.
The best sailors do it two handed

#12 Frickie

Frickie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationAuckland NZ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

yes, our experience of the Colville channel was long and unpleasant.... Winds were high 20's to low 30's with 30 odd deg shifts - so not really a problem. Sea state was awful, steep and confused. Might have been more manageable but no visibility. With pitch black and driving rain we could hardly see the bow, so hammered by whatever came at us. Daylight would have been a challenge but a heck of a lot less difficult.

We actually got through the channel (5 hours in a short channel... that is slow going), but ruined all of the crew doing it (two handed).

Boat cleaned now and set to go again.

Hopefully Nigel gets a good break (he has just had a bad one), and gets to the TT start line.

Boat boats boats...

#13 Dr Dave

Dr Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThe Hamptons

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

The weather was really horrendous off port Charles area, a big storm came over and we started getting smashed a few boats had a lot of seasick crew.

Waves reminded me of the 2011 RNI only it didn't last for four days. Crew were getting wiped off the rail, I got knocked from the wheel a few times, rain was torrential. Not that windy maybe gusts into the low 30's just the awful seaway.

We retired just off Karewa Island the next evening with no wind. Goddamn super moon messed with the weather big time.

Waves reminded me of the 2011 RNI only it didn't last for four days

Fond memories!!

Dr Dave

" I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I just squandered "
George Best

#14 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

Pork chop didn’t handle the channel very well. In one of the squalls with lightening and zero vis we decided to drop the headsail and with sick crew chose to leave it lashed to the foredeck while we sorted things. We took a breaking greenie on board which cleared the decks including the sail so had to ditch it before it wrapped around the keel.

While heading to Port Charles a red light with two mast lights on appeared out of the gloom. Because the lights all lined up it was clear we were on a collision course. We had no idea which course to take to avoid it. Since it was obviously a large motor vessel we crossed fingers that it had radar and would hold its course to pass to port but it turned to starboard and crossed our bow. A bloody big trawler of some sort very close ahead.

The worst part was that the Raymarine plotter with touch screen was constantly being changed by the rain drops (which were hitting it like a machine gun) and approaching the shore in zero visibility was a scary moment as we began to doubt where we were. With cold fingers we couldn’t get the iPhone to work which was out back up GPS. Then another red light drew out of the murk really close ahead of us, maybe 30m. Not knowing it’s course we crash tacked and waited for it to pass.

The main action from here is to ditch the Raymarine as it was a total liability in that situation (and is a total dog generally at the best of times).

The other issue is that having NAv lights at deck level in a big sea means all the boats are invisible to each other in the troughs so I’ll look at getting a Masthead tri-light instead.

On the plus side - running into port Charles in those seas was sort of a blast - 14 knots with main only with 2 reefs- except we were trying to slow down!

#15 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Don't know about the Raymarine but most touchscreens have the ability to lock the screen due to what you discovered. I have an early B&G Touch on the cruising boat which doesn't so I moved it to a more protected location.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#16 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,936 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

Addem, I can help with both those electronic issues if you like? Send me an email, PM, or call on 0221539176

Both the older Raymarine AND B&G touch screens had issues with the touch screens in rain. They have both improved, but again, IMO, the B&G is the better unit in this regard.

B&G now have specific software that "detects" the difference between water and a real touch ( tested on the Vendee globe and volvo boats) , plus, on the Zeus 3 models, the ability to lock the touch screen completely and use the dial and buttons only if you wish. Just remember that the B&G stuff is actually designed for yachts, with a dedicated sailing design team, and the raymarine stuff is designed for power vessels (by FAR the biggest market), with yachting facilities built in as an afterthought.

Willow, which B&G unit do you have? Is it on the latest firmware?

Masthead Tricolor Lamps. I have, in stock, what I firmly believe to be the best tricolors available. Small, light, meets colregs for vessels <24m , auto on/off, with anchor light and emergency strobe. Draw is 0.15a at 12v.... Price is competitive, $450 incl GST and delivery free to any Crew.org member  

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#17 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Addem,glad you and the good ship are in one piece!

That was the second Raymarine plotter I put in as first one leaked inside the warranty period and they refused to replace.

After getting hold of someone in UK and complaining furiously, I finally managed to get a second upspec'd unit at cost. So Im sorry to hear that that unit is dogshtit as well.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and after 16 years of buying and supporting Raymarine, I wont be buying Raymarine ever again.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#18 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Willow, which B&G unit do you have? Is it on the latest firmware?

It's a zeus touch 7, i haven't checked for a while for updated firmware but did update it about a year ago. I even emailed B&G and they said there was no way to lock the screen on this model. I love the dial button on it though very handy, when getting thrown around the touchscreen can be difficult to use.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#19 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

on the marshall on RNI we disabled the touch screen on the outside raymarine plotter.

It was hopeless.

#20 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,936 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hi Willow, there was new firmware, latest is March 24, 2017, download here https://ww2.bandg.co...oftware-update/

I tried to find a list of what changed, but haven't got that yet. I think you MAY have got the rain detection upgrade in that firmware, but I'm not certain - I'm checking, and will come back here once I have the proper answer.

Let me know if you need a hand with the update, but it's pretty easy.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users