Auckland to Lyttleton

Looking to leave Auckland on or about the 19th of this month heading for Lyttleton.  I'm thinking East Coast as I'll be single handing and could do with a few stops on the way.  What does the team think East or West Coasts best?  I've done East Cape a few times and got whacked each time but never North to South, any ideas on best course / weather to look for?  Also anyone anchored in Tolaga Bay?  Where does one anchor?  

Cheers

Southernman.  

Have been around East Cape twice, got belted once. Was well off shore, 25 / 30 miles, rode it out 2 1/2 days, it was easier to return to Tauranga than to continue. 2nd time, absolutely benign, inshore, inside East island, returned from Gisborne the same way, Got clobbered in the B.o.P though. Hicks bay has reasonable shelter from south to NW.

Like all long trips pick your weather, don't rush.

On my own, I would still take the East, rather the West. West is supposed to be easier sea wise, but you have no where to go if you need or want a rest.
N/NEasterly is good for a run, but makes finding shelter or exploring the East coast difficult, as much is exposed to the East.
Tologa Bay is shallow and open to the NE and lots of swell in such conditions. Cooks Cove is supposed to offer shelter in sush weather, but for shallow draft vessels only. From Gisborn onward, there is no where to run, except Napier which is a long way in.

New Plymouth is an easy spot to stop for a rest half way down the West Coast and for most of the trip you can stay far enough away from obstacles to be able to relax a bit. Mana and behind kapiti island may allow a rest if you needed a break or to wait for the right conditions to go across cook straight we got hammered off wairarapa when doing Welly to Auckland and the trip took 10 days with repairs in Napier. New Plymouth to Auckland was an easy 5 or 6 day trip solo with day sailing down the east coast